Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2012 KIA Sportage EX AWD
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been trying to figure out the best bypass module to use for a Viper VSS3000 remote start system. I have found a lot of conflicting information, most likely due to changes in firmware. I want to be absolutely sure I get a module that does everything as expected and preferably digital to digital with the remote start system. I have read through information about the EVO-ALL, idatalink, and DBALL, I'm hoping someone has current information, for some reason I can't get a straight answer from anyone I've talked to outside of this forum.

It sounds like the EVO-ALL does now support D2D with Viper, even though i don't see that on the Fortin website. I can't find anything that shows how the start with factory fob works. Does it do that through the data to data connection or is a relay still required from a door lock wire? Is there an advantage or disadvantage to the EVO-ALL or any others for that matter?

The DB-ALL looks like it still may not support secure takeover, which I understand to mean that one or both will happen, I cant use the keyless button on the exterior handle and/or the car will shut off as soon as you open a door. I also don't know if it will allow the factory fob to activate remote start or not.

The idatalink module seems at the moment to be the most promising, but I still don't know for sure if it will allow me to unlock the car with the fob in my pocket and pressing the door handle button, I don't want to have to use my iPhone to unlock or use a separate fob, one of the biggest things I liked about the smart key is not needing to do anything but walk up and press the button. I also don't know if the remote start by factory fob is controlled through the D2D connection. I am assuming the problem of the car shutting off when a door is opened is also not an issue anymore.

So, looking for advice from anyone with current experience with these modules and any tips for me. I'm plenty capable of doing the install, I just want to know I'm picking the right product, I want to order it soon before it gets any colder out!

Gotta say I am extremely frustrated that every car I have owned for the last 7 years has had factory remote start. Why in the world would Kia not be able to come up with a fully integrated from the factory remote start! Of course the salesman said that Kia made a kit I could install but didn't know that it wasn't available for the push to start models. Not to mention that its not really an integrated solution either, my last car would turn on heated seats and defrost automatically when it was cold enough to need them. I hate the fact that I have to screw with wiring in a remote start on a new car, just irritates me, I seriously wouldn't have bought the car had I known that, it's a necessary feature for me and I have spent so much time finding limited information. Love my Sportage for the most part otherwise!

·
Registered
2013 Sportage SX, 2016 Kia Sorento EX V6
27 Posts
I had a car starter installed at the dealership for my 2013 SX. It's a two way AstroStart. Took me a bit to figure it out, but after it is started and I get in the vehicle, I push the start button twice (once to turn on electrical and again to have it in start position) and am good to go. It doesn't shut off the engine off. As for seat warmers etc., there doesn't seem to be a way to make them stay on after the vehicle is turned off and started again.

The car starter fob also allows me to unlock the doors or tail gate. Only downside is both the OEM key fob and starter fob have to be carried around.

·
Registered
2012 KIA Sportage EX AWD
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had a car starter installed at the dealership for my 2013 SX. It's a two way AstroStart. Took me a bit to figure it out, but after it is started and I get in the vehicle, I push the start button twice (once to turn on electrical and again to have it in start position) and am good to go. It doesn't shut off the engine off. As for seat warmers etc., there doesn't seem to be a way to make them stay on after the vehicle is turned off and started again.

The car starter fob also allows me to unlock the doors or tail gate. Only downside is both the OEM key fob and starter fob have to be carried around.
Thanks for the reply, sounds like maybe all of the major bypass modules have figured out how to keep the car from shutting off when you open the door. Does your factory key fob still work to unlock the door with the door button? Any idea what module they used? I don't know why no one seems to know where I live, the dealer said I would have to give up one of my key fobs, I don't think anyone is going to put in a remote start and use a module that makes you leave a fob mounted under the dash.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thanks for the reply, sounds like maybe all of the major bypass modules have figured out how to keep the car from shutting off when you open the door. Does your factory key fob still work to unlock the door with the door button? Any idea what module they used? I don't know why no one seems to know where I live, the dealer said I would have to give up one of my key fobs, I don't think anyone is going to put in a remote start and use a module that makes you leave a fob mounted under the dash.
My factory key fob still functions normally. I walk up to the vehicle with the factory fob and can either use the button on door handle to unlock or use the buttons on the factory fob (or on the car starter fob).

Not sure what module they used. This is the car starter model they installed AstroStart - Security with Remote Start - AstroStart RSS-2524

Not sure why they would say you would have to give up a fob, seems like the opposite is true that you will need to carry two fobs if you want to use the car starter.

·
Registered
27 Posts
My factory key fob still functions normally. I walk up to the vehicle with the factory fob and can either use the button on door handle to unlock or use the buttons on the factory fob (or on the car starter fob).

Not sure what module they used. This is the car starter model they installed AstroStart - Security with Remote Start - AstroStart RSS-2524

Not sure why they would say you would have to give up a fob, seems like the opposite is true that you will need to carry two fobs if you want to use the car starter.
Click on the link I sent and look under Key Technologies, it talks about having modules for most vehicles and is also Smart Start Compatible (push button start)

·
Registered
2012 KIA Sportage EX AWD
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Yeah, before companies found a way to talk to the car, they had to fool it by having a valid key or fob in the car so you could start it remotely. The system I am installing is a Smart Start system that uses an iPhone app to start the car, which is great for starting from anywhere but I don't want to be forced to use it to unlock after it has been started. It doesn't come with a fob of its own, I can get one for it but the bypass module should allow me to start it using my factory key fob as well by pressing lock 2 or 3 times in a row and I really like just having one fob.

·
Registered
2012 KIA Sportage EX AWD
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Click on the link I sent and look under Key Technologies, it talks about having modules for most vehicles and is also Smart Start Compatible (push button start)
Ok, then they most likely used the xpresskit DBALL module. That's good to know, sounds like it does what I want but I need to confirm that it can be programmed to send a start signal with the factory key fob multiple lock presses. Thanks!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Ok, then they most likely used the xpresskit DBALL module. That's good to know, sounds like it does what I want but I need to confirm that it can be programmed to send a start signal with the factory key fob multiple lock presses. Thanks!
Your welcome, hope it works out for you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts