Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
KIA C'eed SW2 ecodynamic
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having trouble finding any information on this type of kit fro the C'eed, well, actually for any car. I see the kits on E-bay, but not any companies installing any. These are very popular in the US where I came fromn and are very handy in winter or summer. The kit allow you to remotely start the car with A/C or heat on and will run for 1-2- minutes and auto shut down to protect eh car. It also has the safety feature to shut the engine down if someone tries to steal it when in auto start mode. Anyone know of one installed or have one themselves

·
Registered
273 Posts
Not a good idea. In the UK if the car was stolen while the engine was running and no one was present in the car you would not receive a single penny from the insurance company.

Add to that it wastes fuel and pollutes the atmosphere.

Just do what the rest of do, get in and drive it.

·
Registered
943 Posts
In the UK I believe it is illegal to leave a vehicle unattended on a public road with its engine running. I have seen cars auto starting themselves to keep warm in Canada, and also with engine block heaters plugged into the mains in car parks. Fortunately we don't have the extreme cold temperatures that require engines to be warmed to be able to start.

·
Registered
KIA C'eed SW2 ecodynamic
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I understand that it is illegal to have the car running while unattended, that is why it does not have a key in the ignition,doors are locked and alarm on, and if someone tries to drive away it automatically shuts off. I can't see why there would be an issue with the insurance, same companies are insuring cars with this feature in the US, and the same law of unattended vehicle. It is not considered unsafe due to all the safety features. As far as polluting the atmosphere, the car takes that long to safely defrost the windows anyway before I drive off. I do not use the sprays, as they are worse for your car and the environment. Thank you for your input though.

·
Registered
Ceed CRDI LS
45 Posts
I helped a friend install one of these as part of a very expensive, talking Clifford alarm system.
It had a neutral switch. Put the car in gear and it would cut out.
This was on a 1990s car without a factory immobiliser.
You would probably need an immobiliser bypass.

A link explaining.
http://securemycar.co.uk/remote-start-explained.html
Not recommending them. Not in your area and full of spelling mistakes!

It is illegal to use on public road but obviously your choice.

The Webasto heaters are very smart but expensive. Maybe worth looking into if you plan to keep the car for a long time.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I understand that it is illegal to have the car running while unattended, that is why it does not have a key in the ignition,doors are locked and alarm on, and if someone tries to drive away it automatically shuts off.
Sorry but you have lost me. You accept it is illegal to have the car running whilst unattended but appear to think its OK providing the ignition and doors are locked and the alarm is on.

The car will still be running and unattended thus illegal.

For the odd few days its cold enough to be an issue why bother. I just scrape the screen with a hard rubber scraper that does no damage to the car or environment.

And when you have made changes to the vehicle wiring any problems will be yours to sort, Kia will not entertain a warranty claim after you have tampered, quite rightly so.

·
Registered
Kia Ceed, MGTF, Various Jeeps new and old, FIAT 500
268 Posts
Under the Road Traffic act it is illegal to "quit a running vehicle on the public highway" so you cannot let your car defrost unattended on the road. However this only applies to the public highway so its 100% legal on your drive or car parking space if its a private space.

But agree with Ceed3 in England and Wales not really cold enough to bother. May be different in.continental Europe, Scotland (where OP is) or N Ireland.

Sent from my ZTE-BLADE using AutoGuide App

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have A 1994 kia

I am in Alaska, and this topic is of interest to me as well.I have a 1994 Sephia Ls. How do you bypass the passive security; the car only starts with a key in the ACC of the ignition. what should I try to get it running ?

Thanks

·
Registered
943 Posts
But agree with Ceed3 in England and Wales not really cold enough to bother. May be different in.continental Europe, Scotland (where OP is) or N Ireland.

I live near the OP and the average temperatures are a couple of degrees colder than the south east of the UK, particularly as Dundee is at sea level. Scotland is not Siberia (or Alaska) :D

·
Registered
RIP :( 2010 Pro_Cee'd - Infra Red 2
863 Posts
I can vouch for the Clifford alarm kits, friend had one fitted on his Mk4 Supra turbo. Could start without unlocking, and if anyone tried to drive off it would stop & locked them in :)

Wifey's from Dundee and it certainly IS cold enough up there to warrant this!
My Father in law's road (Invergowrie) was 4" deep ice & unpassable by anything (vehicle or feet) for 4 weeks last winter! We don't get anything like their temperatures down here. Thankfully :p

·
Registered
273 Posts
I can vouch for the Clifford alarm kits, friend had one fitted on his Mk4 Supra turbo. Could start without unlocking, and if anyone tried to drive off it would stop & locked them in :)
No point at all on a Supra Turbo. Boss of mine had one, show it a damp road and there was no way he could leave the village. Way too much power for the available traction. There would be no way it would move in the snow.

·
Registered
RIP :( 2010 Pro_Cee'd - Infra Red 2
863 Posts
Indeed, he actually spun it 180' & ended perched upon an 8" wall about 3 weeks after getting, that was on a straight road going up hill, damn manhole covers :lol:

The remote start was great on cold mornings though, turned the A/C on to warm & demist, heated rear window, etc. Was just a bonus really though, he had a decent alarm & immobiliser fitted to make insurance 'livable' ;)

·
Registered
268 Posts
It gets that cold in Northern France and Belgium too (you would think it would be warmer) but due to not getting the gulf stream its a lot colder. Normally in Jan we have several sub zero weeks last year a low was -13 and was below -8 for 18 days. As its a rural area the Kia, Fiat 500 and MGTF stay on the drive or in the garage and we use the Jeep. The MGTF is a nightmare in cold and icy weather.

I do note that the Kia is one of the slowest cars I have known before the heater produces any heat. Don't know if that due to it being an ecodynamics or not.

·
Registered
943 Posts
I do note that the Kia is one of the slowest cars I have known before the heater produces any heat. Don't know if that due to it being an ecodynamics or not.
I don't know about the ecodynamics model but my 2010 diesel Ceed has three PTC heaters built into the climate control system and produces warm air almost immediately after a cold start.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Our Ceed heats up faster than any other diesel car we have owned. If you want slow try a Mondeo TDCi or a Focus TDCi.

Petrol cars always heat up faster but since they use more fuel which as it burns produces more heat I guess that is logical.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Perhaps the slow heater is just the Ecodynamics because I noticed that James Martin (The chef) did a review for the Mail and Yorkshire Post and also noted "The stereo was decent, but the heating took a long time to warm up. You really notice that when it's five below zero." The salesman told me that the Ecodynamics was supposed to have a different waterpump and alternator which are more energy efficient. Perhaps this explains it.

Read more: JAMES MARTIN: What makes the Kia Cee'd 1.6 EcoDynamics a car for all seasons | Mail Online

·
Registered
KIA C'eed SW2 ecodynamic
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Sorry but you have lost me. You accept it is illegal to have the car running whilst unattended but appear to think its OK providing the ignition and doors are locked and the alarm is on.

The car will still be running and unattended thus illegal.

For the odd few days its cold enough to be an issue why bother. I just scrape the screen with a hard rubber scraper that does no damage to the car or environment.

And when you have made changes to the vehicle wiring any problems will be yours to sort, Kia will not entertain a warranty claim after you have tampered, quite rightly so.
I could accept "leaving a running vehicle unattended" as illegal if it meant key in the ignition. Since these systems operate without a key in the ignition AND have a safety feature set up to shut off if pedals are depressed without the key inserted, I do not see the issue. It also shuts off after 10-15 minutes of running if the key is not inserted and the ignition tumbler turned to on position. AS far as warranty, I would have it done by an authorised installer,and therefor, only the issues caused by that system would not be covered as would be expected. 2010, Dundee had ice and snow on the ground until early April. The auto start allows the heat to run and defrost the window instead of having to scrape AND wait the twenty minutes for the heat to start defrosting/removing humidity to keep the screen clear. This could all have been avoided if the KIA would have offered the electric front screen defrost like Ford has. I was not looking for a debate, I was just asking for information. I did see that someone had mentioned some sort of pre-heater installed in the engine, unfortunately, I do not have a drive and would not be able to provide exterior power supply to such a heater.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I do not have a drive and would not be able to provide exterior power supply to such a heater.
Therefore you will be leaving a car with the engine running unattended on a public highway which is illegal.

This could all have been avoided if the KIA would have offered the electric front screen defrost like Ford has.
Agreed but Ford charges other manufacturers to use the heated screen feature, they have some of patent. But it would do nothing for the side windows.

2010, Dundee had ice and snow on the ground until early April.
Does not mean the car requires de-icing just because there is snow on the ground.

Also consider that 10-15 minutes of idling from cold will destroy your mpg figures and add to atmospheric pollution, makes a total mockery out of buying the Eco model.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts