Kia Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
I just got this email last night;

"We are proud to announce our new Firmware for FULL and simple coverage on the Hyundai/Kia push to start vehicles.

ADS-AL(DL)-HK2

NO KEY REQUIRED!!!

The firmware is available on ADS-AL CA and ALL its little brothers.

Check it our here iDatalink - Front Page "
I got the same email last night...I was coming on here to let people know also, and saw you beat me to it.

I will be calling around to some installers later this week, or maybe go pay a visit to a few this Saturday, and see what they say. I was very excited to see they got this working! This will kick ass in the Limited Borrego!

·
Registered
233 Posts
I got the same email last night...I was coming on here to let people know also, and saw you beat me to it.

I will be calling around to some installers later this week, or maybe go pay a visit to a few this Saturday, and see what they say. I was very excited to see they got this working! This will kick ass in the Limited Borrego!
If this news is coming straight from idatalink, which it is, then you're guaranteed it's going to work.

·
Registered
90 Posts
May I ask why do you say that? I'm not being smart, it's just that I'm ignorant as to who they are. I'd love to get automatic start, if I could find a good installer in Atlanta to do it.

·
Registered
233 Posts
May I ask why do you say that? I'm not being smart, it's just that I'm ignorant as to who they are. I'd love to get automatic start, if I could find a good installer in Atlanta to do it.
Idatalink has been a maker of bypass modules for many years, one of the original manufacturers/products I believe. It's a brand that I've installed many times and I've personally never had issues.

Look for a local online car forum and you're bound to find a good installer. Or drive by some shops and speak with installers directly.... and as long as there's a good warranty then you can really go wrong.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'm am scheduled to have the remote start installed on my Borrego on the 17th, using the iDataLink module. The installer was already familiar with it, because he had gotten a dealer notification about it from them. I'm feeling pretty comfortable about the installer I have chosen. He seems to know what he is talking about, and I have talked to a few people that have had work done by him. Very small shop. Basically a one-man operation for the most part.

Will update everyone here once it is installed.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Had the remote start installed.... (Remember, mine is on a Limited with the Smartkey push-to-start system)

Couple of things to note:

1 - This did NOT require me to give up a key fob, like some of the previous remote start setups would require. This was the biggest thing holding me back from getting a remote start system. I still have both smartkeys, and they both work as they should.

2 - This is a Compustar 6000 brain, with a single button fob kit (1BAMR). The brain uses the iDatalink Blade system for the bypass. We used the 6000 brain, which is an alarm & remote start controller together. This was done only because I also wanted to use the "knock-to-unlock" add-on, and also to add the temp sensor to automatically start the vehicle when the inside temp gets too high/low. The 6000 allows using both of these options, where the 6200 brain (remote start only) does not allow those options.

System does work, but not 100% like it should. Installer will be talking to Compustar this week to discuss the issues that we found.

The bad...
1 - System does not start every time I request it to.
a - When I press the button to remote start the Borrego, sometimes, the brain will begin the process to start the vehicle, but will not actually start the vehicle, BUT it thinks it has started the vehicle. It does not retry, since it thinks it is already running. Most remote start systems will check to see if the vehicle is currently running, and if it isn't, it will try to start it again, usually retrying 3 times.
b - While the brain *thinks* the vehicle is running, I can tell it to "stop" the motor, even though it isn't actually running. Then, if I tell it to remote start again, it will work correctly the 2nd time. This sucks, because I can't hear the engine running to know if it actually did start or not the 1st time, so that I know if I need to have it try the 2nd time.
c - I think that if we get the brain to detect that the vehicle isn't running, then it will properly retry to start the vehicle, and will probably work ok then. Yes...It should get it right the first time, but my previous vehicles with remote start didn't always start on 1st try either, so it is no big deal to me. The brain is supposed to get the info about whether the engine is running or not on the CANbus lines, but something isn't working correctly there. Maybe, it will need to be hooked up like a normal vehicle to the tach line??? Waiting for Compustar to answer.
d - The reason it seems for the failure on the 1st try has to do with the vehicle "not seeing the key". Well, the bypass module simulates the key, so it almost seems like a timing issue with the brain not showing the "key" to the Borrego at the proper time. Again, waiting on Compustar to answer.

2 - Every now and then, it will start properly on the 1st try. Not an issue, except that it is random.

3 - Alarm...I hate the alarm on this Compustar 6000 system. I found myself inside the vehicle, with the 6000 alarm armed, and when my girlfriend went to get out, the alarm was set off. Of course, my keys are buried in my pocket, so I had to try to quickly dig them out, and cut off the alarm. I am talking to the installer about disabling the 6000 alarm. OEM alarm works fine. I've tested it, and am happy with the OEM alarm. Remember, I asked for the 6000 due to the additional options it gave me.

4 - This one I was already aware of, but still bothers me greatly....OEM fob & the door handle unlock button does not work when the engine is running. So, when I remote start the Borrego, it auto locks the doors for me, but then if I want to get into the vehicle, I have to use the remote start fob to unlock the doors. Not a huge deal for the most part, but I am way too accustomed to just walking up to the vehicle and pressing the door unlock button. I don't like having to pull my keys out of my pocket to just unlock the door. I am actually pushing the Kia dealership to contact Kia Motors about this and see if there is a way to re-enable the key fob or at least the door handle button, while the engine is running. This really should be an option for the customer.

The good....
1 - Handover does work properly. So...I remote start the vehicle, go to the vehicle and unlock the door with the remote start fob (and have the OEM fob with me), get in vehicle, push brake pedal, and put it in drive and drive away. Basically, the system does see my OEM fob when I get in, and when I press the brake pedal, that shuts down the remote start unit, and hands control over to my OEM fob. I really like this. I was worried that this was not going to work correctly.

2 - Ummmm....It works sometimes????

It has only been installed for 3 days, and I know that I am one of the 1st to get this new bypass system installed, so I'm not upset about the problems we have found so far. Compustar is a great company, and I do believe they will find the issues and can address them with updates to the Blade module. That is one of the nicest things about their equipment. It can be upgraded if bugs are found.

I will update again once things are worked on again.

Later!
Butch

·
Registered
39 Posts
Ok...someone reminded me that I need to update this thread.

So, I am still at the same place as above. Read above post to refresh your memory.

Dealer is *still* working with ADS iDatalink & Compustar on a solution. Special code has been written by ADS, and lots of "hacks" to test theories about what is going on, but no luck with any of it.

Even though I am very happy to see a solution that doesn't require me to use one of my two key fobs for the remote start system, it is getting to the point that it just isn't worth it when the bugs are not worked out.

So...I have some questions for you guys to see if any of you can help.

ADS (iDatalink) is saying that it works great on the Borrego(s) that they have tried it on. I have specifically asked them if these Borregos have push-to-start, and they say "yes". So, I assumed they are all the "Limited" Borregos, since that is the way it is in the US. Well, this may not be the case since ADS is in Canada, and we are now finding out that the Canadian Borregos seem to have push-to-start available on all of their models. Plus, we are now seeing that there are actually 2010 Borregos available in Canada, but the US is only 2009. I didn't even know a 2010 Borrego was being made in North America.

Now, we may have found out that ADS hasn't done an actual install on the V8 models, but only on the V6 ones. There just may not be that many V8 models up there for them to play with.

Kia is saying that the PCM is different between the V6 & V8 models, so that *may* be why it doesn't work 100% correctly on my V8. The remote start bypass may only be written for a V6 model, based on what ADS had available to test with.

ADS says they are going to try to get their hands on a V8 model. Anyone in the Montreal area with a 2009 V8 Limited, that could get their Borrego over to ADS to help with this? If you don't have a 2009, then how about a 2010 V8 model, just so they can see if there truly is a difference in the PCM setup.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask them. I have learned a lot about this thing!

Oh yeah...and I will be getting rid of the 6000 series brain, if we ever get the remote start stuff to work. I just can do without the alarm functions that the 6000 brain offers. I will go back to the brain that is for remote start only. Too many times I accidentally set off the 6000 alarm. I will deal with the factory alarm only. It does the job just fine.

Butch

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Thanks Butch for the update. I've been holding off for those specifc reasons. Hopefully the bugs will be worked out before the vehicle is ready for retirement.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Finally completed my install in our 09 LX with no push button start. It required the use of a bypass module that came with a ignition barrel loop. Module basically simulated an ignition key. Only way to program it is with a KIA scan tool.
After a bit of sweet talking the dealership I managed to get them to agree to program it... of course they swore up and down that it would not work. I spent some time with their technician in the shop and after a couple of tries the module was programmed and the starter works perfectly.

Something else I learned is that the LX version will program up to eight ignition keys. I know someone mentioned only two before.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Thanks Butch for the update. I've been holding off for those specifc reasons. Hopefully the bugs will be worked out before the vehicle is ready for retirement.
Well....Back to square one. I had the remote start system removed yesterday.

They had the system working decently well, and I was willing to put up with a few of the small issues, but then something happened that made me have the system pulled.

It started shutting off the Borrego while driving down the road! Wouldn't happen every time, but after the 3rd time, (and making sure it wasn't me accidentally pushing the key fob button while in my pocket), I decided that it was too much of a risk.

The installer wasn't really getting anywhere with anyone for help anymore, and he was frustrated with it also. He wanted to keep working on it, but agreed that it was now a safety issue and should be pulled out. Manufactures pretty much were done with helping him. Their excuse was always "Well...it worked for us". The manufactures did try to help at first, but I think they figured it wasn't the hassle for just one vehicle.

so, after having basically 3 different installation configurations done, with different hardware/software each time, and the same problem every time with the Borrego, we have come to the conclusion that it just isn't going to work with mine.

There are installers who say they have installed on the Borrego with no problems, but nobody is able to confirm that it was done on an 09 Limited model. The 09 Limited just has something different about it. Even the Kia Dealer I talked with agreed that the Limited model has some differences in the control modules and programming because of the push-to-start system, and that one of them must be causing the issue.

Kudos to my installer for trying though. I felt really bad for him to keep working on it, and tried to get him to give it up one time, but he was determined to get it working.

Anyone in near the NC/VA border near Eden, NC, should visit "Audio Plus of Eden". Neil is a great guy, and does know his stuff with installations. Can't fault him for a vehicle that is just too different.

If any of you have questions about my install/problems, feel free to send me a message.

Thanks,
Butch

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Thanks Butch for the update and being the "guinea pig". Too bad it didn't work out. I was sure hoping it would for both you, me, and and any others out there with the dreaded push button start. I have yet to find any Borrego owners locally that have successfully had a remote start functional for them. I guess I'm just spoiled, but every vehicle I've owned personally and driven for a company has had a remote starter installed. It's damn near a necessity here in Alberta. Good luck, hopefully someone out there has one working flawlessly.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Yeah, I became spoiled by remote start systems also. This is the 1st vehicle I have had in awhile that didn't have remote start. It is a shame that it seems to just be a technical issue, and not a physical issue with making it work. Just not enough of our Borregos out there to get anyone to care enough to fix the issues.

I like my Borrego a lot, but my next SUV will have to be something a little more common so I can get accessories for it! Being different is not helping me enjoy what I currently have.

I would love to hear from anyone that does have a working system installed in a 2009 Limited Borrego, though.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Too bad to hear that you couldn't get the starter working, I can imagine the installers frustration. I've been there a few times, maybe he'll get another to work on in the near future that works and he'll have a solution for you. If only there were more on the road..

·
Registered
39 Posts
An update for any of you interested. I got the below forwarded email from Neil my installer the other day from someone at ADS Tech Support:

Neil,
Late good news for you.
I finally got a vehicle that had same problem as your Borrego.
Faulty start when car sat for awhile.
Next firmware update will take care of that issue.
Took us some time to figure it out but finally fix timing issue.
Sorry if it comes out late but I had to get my hands on a problematic car before being able to fix the problem.
Have a nice season.

Richard
ADS Tech Support

So...I replied to Neil to let him know I *may* be interested in trying it again, but it would be Jan or Feb before I could give him the vehicle again. I will decide after the new year if I want to go through all of this again, and if I want to put Neil back through it all again or not.

If anyone else is thinking about it, give us updates!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Remote start

Hi folks,

Thanks for posting so much detail regarding the remote start problem. I live in Canada (as you can tell by my accent), and I have a 2010 ExV8 with push button start (The name Limited edition is in the U.S. only). There are also 2011 models here, but next year Kia will stop making Borregos. I heard a rumor that they will redesign it as a CUV for 2013, like they did with the Sorrento, but we'll see about that (and what's the point?).
Anyway, I too am looking for answers about a remote starter. Last year I didn't bother because my mechanic said he could do it, but at an estimated cost of about $600 including taxes, etc.
I didn't know there were so many issues, but now that I read this blog I am shocked. If the OEM security system is so complex, manufacturers should include remote start as an option on every vehicle. Push botton starts are getting more and more common, so the remote start companies will catch up.
For now I'll just start the truck before I shovel the snow, and by the time I get to work, it will be warmed up.

d:)

21 - 36 of 36 Posts
About this Discussion
35 Replies
7 Participants
Duane R
Kia Forum
Kia Forums is a community dedicated to all Kia models. Come discuss the Kia Sorento, Rio, Sportage, Soul and more!
Full Forum Listing