Kia Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an idea on why a 2003 Sorento won't start after a crank sensor replacement and need some help.

When I removed the crank pulley, it was stuck to the gear so the gear actually pulled out about halfway from the shaft. The belt did not move/skip a tooth however (I have since removed everything again to make sure the marks all align).

When I look at the reluctor now with the engine at TDC, the opening on the reluctor is pretty much smack dab in the middle of the crank sensor.

Qhestions: How is the reluctor fastened? Could it have spun to the wrong location when the bottom gear the crank pulley fastens to pulled out a bit? What position should the reluctor be in with the engine at TDC?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Got it figured out unfortunately. The reluctor is fastened to the back of the gear by a couple small rivets. When the gear slid off the shaft a bit while removing the crank pulley, the reluctor could not move because it wedged up against the back side of the timing belt so they rivets broke free....pulled them right out. Time to find a new gear! The dealer said this is pretty common.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts