Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Kia Sportage 2WD 4Cyl
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious how difficult it would be to just extend the cigarette into the center console.

I find myself with many wires running to the dash, and it all gets a tad bit annoying with many wires running astray and becoming tangled.
It'd be nice to have the wires coming out the center console, and having the phone/iPod/whatever rest in the cupholder since it doesn't function as... a cupholder (too large).
Or, I could stash it in the center console, as well.

If terminating with a regular cigarette output jack doesn't fit/able to be housed, I could definitely wire in just a female USB jack...

While on this topic, I have also been thinking about hiding the 3.5mm AUX cable from the HU into the center console..

·
Premium Member
96 4 DOOR 4WD SPORTAGE, 2014 Hyundai Elantra GT, 2015 Accent Hatchback Sport
651 Posts
Not difficult at all.
But, what I did was bring in a heavy gauge wire from the battery and split it. 1 going to the 2 new 12V outlets/cig lighters, and 1 to a relay that is actuated by key in ACC mode. I drive my gauges, radio, and any other accessories off this. The wire is fused at the battery with a 40amp circuit breaker. I installed another 30A before the outlets and a 20A breaker before the relay. I also have fuses inline on any accessories.
Works great and don't have the problem of dimming when I hit the brakes, turn on the fan motor, or anything else.
UPYOURKIA

·
Registered
2001 Kia Sportage 2WD 4Cyl
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not difficult at all.
But, what I did was bring in a heavy gauge wire from the battery and split it. 1 going to the 2 new 12V outlets/cig lighters, and 1 to a relay that is actuated by key in ACC mode. I drive my gauges, radio, and any other accessories off this. The wire is fused at the battery with a 40amp circuit breaker. I installed another 30A before the outlets and a 20A breaker before the relay. I also have fuses inline on any accessories.
Works great and don't have the problem of dimming when I hit the brakes, turn on the fan motor, or anything else.
UPYOURKIA
Hmm, interesting.
I don't plan on running anything heavy (just charging up my phone/iPod) so I was thinking running 16GA wiring from the original cig?
16GA should more than handle the 2A, right?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts