Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would you recomend over a Ssangyong Rexton CRD?,Jeep Grand Cheeroke Laredo CRD(both have same motor!)
Is the Kia motor just a trumped up old (unreliable) Mitsi 2.5?

·
Registered
2008 VW Tiguan (sold my Sorento)
355 Posts
No it's not a Mitsi at all there's no 2.5l CRDi Mitsi out there (maybe you're getting confused over the mitsi background of the V6 petrol ?) and having driven the Jeep I wouldn't give it house room personally, it's positively **** dangerous at any sort of reasonable speed. Take the Jeep for a ride, then the Sorento, I guarantee you'll never go back to even talk to the Jeep salesman, I sure didn't. Don't know much about the Ssangyong Rexton except in New Zealand it's $10,000 dearer than the Sorento and that's the base model. Everything I've read would suggest that the Sorento is the best bang for your buck anywhere !!!

Cheers

Derek

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that Derek
From your experience (and any other owners ot there! )which dealers have you found that really know tha vehiicle and background technology?

I am a Mechanical Engineer in Auckland that thrives on undersatnding in technical detail how everything works and what happens etc when it does't! ,
so like you with the problems you had with the vehicle tracking would be very ******oFF with Kia's responses you recieved.
Under the CGA could you have asked for a replacement ?
I have only started looking and from yours and other comments posted the 5 year guarantee / warranty appears not to be worth any thing!
Does everything get replaced as it packs up?
Does Kia have the facility in new Zealand to do this?

The Rexton has a "Mercedes based" motor and auto gear box with BorgWarner running gear.[these appear to have a good reliability record]
Kia has its own motor (from British reports who have had the diesel for a few years this appears to be a good motor) How is the Aisin?? new 5 speed auto gearbox-,from forum these appear to be a Mitsi with the special oil needed?.

·
Registered
2008 VW Tiguan (sold my Sorento)
355 Posts
Hiya

Didn't realise you were another Kiwi !!! My home address is [email protected] if you want to drop me a line.

I'm thrilled with my Sorento though I've just ahd a really weird problem, finally fixed tonight, but could have been any vehicel and the local agent certainly did the job. HAve a look at http://www.sorentosite.com/ forums, problems, clatter, for more info.

Anyway, other than the TOD problem that I believe Kia NZ have to be persuaded to fix I honestly believe that the Sorento is the best "bang for your buck" by far !!!

If you want more info email me direct or have a look at http://www.sorentosite.com/, they've got heaps of stuff there.

Cheers

Derek

1 - 4 of 4 Posts