Kia Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll admit that I've never heard of Kia Soul before two weeks ago. I was on travel and the rental car I got was a 2018 Soul. I found it surprisingly roomy. The drive was also good. When I read reviews online, it seems to be among the most highly rated compact cars. Great!

Now, we are hoping to buy a car for my in-laws. While price is an important factor, reliability is critical because of their age. They do not drive a great deal. We have probably the largest Kia Soul owner collection here. I hope you would not mind me asking, if you were in my situation, would you consider buying a Soul for your in-laws? Thank you.

Best,
Frank

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Frank,

Your post of 8 months ago going unanswered.... Allow me.
I am the one owner of a 2014 Soul base manual, 125k miles, and aside from several recalls, the car has only required maintenance and one side marker bulb. It has been stellar.

Stock tires got me to 70k, and still has original brake pads.

There are concerns about the 1.6L engine. From reading it's apparent that it's sensitive about oil and filter changes and fuel. Apparently, and like a lot of engines, carbon build up will eventually be it's undoing.

I've done two things since the get go to be be as confident as I can be: changed the oil and filter every 5000 miles without fail. And, I use only [email protected]#$&n with Techron. I'll tell you why.

When i bought my soul new, Kia had just paid fines for fudging the mpg numbers, by several miles per gallon on the soul and other models. Another requirement was they had to adjust what mpg they showed on the window sticker, which for my car came out to 30 mpg hwy. Somewhat lower than most of its competition, but then soul is not very aerodynamic with it's boxy shape and upright windshield.

And on less than top quality gasoline, I found out early that Kia's new lowered mpg rating was pretty frickin spot on. But after a couple of tanks running @#evron, at 8-15 cents per gallon more mind you, my combined driving got me 29-30 mpg, and highway was 33-34 and remains so to this day!

That may seem trivial, but if a gasoline makes any measurable difference I'm gonna use it, $1.40 per tankfull is worth it. But also, this car still gets the mileage, uses no oil between changes, and so I I'm ahead of the game.

The 1.6 is not refined, it's fairly gutless, but it's been stellar in every other way.

The 2.0 is a different beast that I cannot comment on with any experience.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts