Kia Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I am used to driving a little stick shift for the last 12.6 years but am used to auto tranys like the 727 torque flte, 350/400 turbo and even C-4&6. These are all 3 speeds and you can tell when the things are shifting. What I am wondering is this Kia a 3spd auto or what? I just got everything working on it like it should and what it came with. Drove it this past week to work and yesterday took a short 90 mile round trip jaunt and everything even the cruise control worked perfect, knock on wood.
My question again is does this thing shift? If taking off to attain highway speed off the git go it goes and seems to not shift so to say? In town from stop to about 30-45 around 30 it seems like it is "hanging" wanting a bit more rpm's to shift. The engine does not seem to be over revving or anything.
Also ok not everything is working right. The tach. When you start it and rev up the engine it will go up, then drop. When driving it don't move other than when starting engine on initial surge.
Any feed back would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Well imo an auto that shifts so smoothly you don't realise it can't be bad. Yours is probably the 5-speed auto with sport shift 'semi-manual'. Also with 'lock-up torque converter' that allows revs to drop at cruising speeds to save fuel.

On the other hand it could possibly be the early 4-speed auto with a 4th speed lock out button on the shift lever. They changed around early 2005 iirc.

Maybe there is an issue with the nut holding the steering wheel. Who knows? :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts