Kia Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Kia Spectra
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[email protected] Could someone email me and give your opinion. I am looking into redoing my entire interior. I have seen people use paint to change the color of their dash trim and so on. How well would it work to do the entire dash and all the plastic trim in the car? I currently have a beige interior and want to change it to black. If I paint it all, I'll buy seat covers for the front and back seats. I'm just sick of beige. Any advice or opinions would be appreciated. I drive a 2002 Kia Spectra. Thanks everyone. Also, a good type of paint would be nice to know too.

·
Registered
11 Posts
First off, do not use paint. Use SEM dye, you should be able to get at most automotive stores. Use a scotchbrite pad and LIGHTLY scuff the areas to be dyed. Next use a cheap lacquer thinner to clean the areas. Mask off the pieces to be sparayed and fog them in. Do not spray on heavy and thick, use light misting coats. This process may take a while but be patient as you will be happy with the results. Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
2015 Buick Verano "Leather Group", 2015 Kia Optima Hybrid
6,127 Posts
dont use dye or paint... trust me... fiberglassing is expensive but it is the only "real" way to do it otherwise its ghetto. From experience dont do either.. if your gonna do it do it right..

·
Registered
11 Posts
No, actually you don't have to spend alot of hard earned money or time fiberglassing to gret the results you desire. Just because one person has had a bad experience doesn't necessarilly make it wrong. If you show a little patience and prep everything correctly, you will be happy with your results. In addition, call up a local automotive trim shop or maybe even a few and you will see that tihs procedure works without the costly methods or mess of fiberglassing.

·
Premium Member
6,127 Posts
paint chips to easily and fades with the heat and sun.. no matter how great your prep is if you ding it paint will chip. if you live where its hot or extremly cold it will crack and/or fade will happen......
fiberglass wont fade. its super glossy (when done right) and does not crack or chip easily.
Im not saying it wont look good when it gets done im saying time will take its toll on paint with the heat ect ect ect...

Mine looked great. until time took its toll in about 2 yrs it was fading, chipping cracking.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Nowhere did I suggest to him to use paint. If you will take a look, I stated first off not to use paint. There is a difference between SEM dye and paint. Also what did you fiberglass? How did you get the desired color you wanted? Trust me I'm a fan of glassing, but you don't need to go thru everything that comes along with glassing to do a simple color change.

·
Premium Member
6,127 Posts
I said I painted. BUt I know some ppl that have glassed their interiors. Als oknow some ppl with old rat rods that made interior pieces outta glass because of no parts aval. for their rods. They start with a piece of cardboard for their piece then they go to glassing it....
You glass the interior then paint it. Looks awsome.
Dyes I just dont know about..... Ive heard of dying fabrics but plastic??????? seriously plastic is not a material that absorbes stuff to well so if you dye how does it absorb or stay on?
I havent heard of dying plastic?

Im going by personally seeing the results. paint sucks personally did it twice on my 1 car, then i saw ppl that glassed it. it looks so so much better. and besides how do you get dye to look glossy. I bet it doesnt get glossy I bet it looks dull...

·
Registered
11 Posts
First off SEM dye is specifically a plastic dye. It comes in a variety of finishes...satin, gloss, even a high gloss finish and a few others if you desire. You state that someone should avoid painting and dying all together and that glassing is the way to go. No matter if its plastic or fiberglass, they are just the foundation that you will either paint or dye. You can't just lay down some resin and think your done, you have to prep your fiberglass mold as well...shape, sand, bondo if needed, then sand again. Everything begins with a good foundation. First off you start out by saying not to use paint or dye, but to glass. To trust you, cause you know. That paint chips and fades to easily. Then you finish up by saying, glass the interior then paint it. Come to find out you've never glassed your interior nor have you dyed it. You've just seen and heard. If you gonna give advice, please do so knowing that someone may use the methods that you are giving. For you to say trust you when you've never actually done them, well thats just wrong. People want to know ways that work from people who have tried.

·
Premium Member
6,127 Posts
thats what im saying I USED paint and do not use it... what is the attitude about? OK you know it all we will just trust you ok...
Ive heard of some ppl using dyes and well lets say when it get a little wet and you touch it well you get colored......

Some ppl on the net cant have a discussion without not having an attitude about it. Grow up feller!

·
Registered
11 Posts
No thats not it at all, no attitude just a friendly debate...sorry to come off that way. All I was doing was saying,that people use these forums to learn and if you are going to suggest methods do so, but don't discredit the methods that your unfamiliar with. Once again sorry for the misunderstanding. Oh by the way, I read over your specs, nice ride.

·
Premium Member
6,127 Posts
I read over your specs, nice ride.
Im in the middle of parting that ride out...

·
Registered
2000 Kia Sportage
8 Posts
The chemical makeup of paint will not adhere to plastic or rubber products. Plastic dye (SEMS) is what we use and recommend. The chemical makeup of dye adheres to plastic and will not adhere to metal. When used in conjunction with a heat gun you will get the best results. Holding the heat gun 6-8" away from your product during and after you spray will yield the best results. And as to the "glossy" situation----GUES WHAT, dye comes in glossy. Just like paint, dye comes in flat, semi. and glossy. It depends on the color selection. Prep work is a must. Dye will not stick if any kind of silicone based products have been used. Laquer thinner is the cleaner of choice. :thumbsup:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts