Kia Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My son has a 2002 Kia Rio Cinco that was purchased in October of 2011. He had some squealing issues and had the belts replaced where he bought the vehicle. In February, the inner belt came off. I did not work on it, so I am not sure if it came off or broke off.

At that point, my son had a mechanic friend replace the inner belt at 11:00pm one night at work, but to get the inner belt on, he CUT the outer belt off. He was afraid the tensioning bolt for the power steering pump would snap because it was so rusty. He said that the inner belt only ran A/C and power steering, but at least it was drivable now.

Even with the new belt, the car would not start. My son got a new battery but the alternator light was still on. When I looked under the hood, the new belt that his friend put on had completely missed the inner pulley and was sitting between the pulley and the engine block.

In March my son lost his license for 6 months so the car has been sitting in the driveway. I want to get the belts on as a surprise - so that when he gets ready to get on the road, the car will be all set. Working without ramps and completely from above the vehicle, I was able to finally get the alternator bolt slacked off and I rerouted the inner belt for the alternator (and water pump?). It is a really tight squeeze, but I am almost done with that one.

Now the outer pulley according to the diagram runs the A/C and the power steering. I called a few places and they told me that is the longer of the two belts to which I kept disagreeing. Finally, I went out to the car to make sure since I know it only runs from the crankshaft pulley to the power steering pump.

Then I realized what I just said. So I checked the dashboard and sure enough, there are controls for the A/C - and I know that I was fighting with A/C lines to get the inner belt on. But there was no A/C compressor! Apparently the previous owner (or the dealership) removed the A/C compressor at some point...

So finally, my actual question is what size belt would I use for this altered configuration? Will the standard belt for the same car with no A/C work? Or does it take a slightly different belt?

·
Registered
2002 Kia Rio 2003 Dodge Durango 1993 Chevy C1500
95 Posts
I would guess but not SURE it would be different. If you have the old belt that was cut or some type of measuring device, wrap it around where it needs to go and mark it. Then take it to the part store and they can measure with their little belt measurer and give you the right size. I would suggest using or at least taking the original belt that goes to it to match up the TYPE of belt it is.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts