Kia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a Kia Soul Exclaim. What is the recommended PSI for the OEM Hankook tires? The placard on the driver's side door says 33 PSI, so I assumed the dealership filled them to this level; however, I just checked them, and all four tires gave me a reading of over 40 PSI. The imprint on the tires themselves say the max the tire can handle is 44 PSI.

I know that the overinflation of tires has a negative impact on the tread and their wear, and I imagine overinflation would contribute to a rougher ride. I am curious, do overinflated tires have any impact on fuel economy?

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,540 Posts
set it as per the door post tag that's what is there for, this is a common problem and many dealers seem to overlook this on PDI's. You could increase it by 1-2 lbs if you wish. The imprint on the tire means nothing as far as what the correct tire pressure should be just what its capable of handling as you stated.
Drop it down to the correct level (check it when cold) and you will also find you ride is more comfortable too.

·
Registered
Cerato
692 Posts
33 PSI provides a soft ride; many people prefer 36 PSI for better handling and slightly better fuel economy. Probably not much benefit by going over this. Note that these are pressures measured "cold" and you'll get 1 or 2 extra PSI on the road.

New cars sometimes have over-inflated tyres. Factory fitting not checked during the pre-delivery "$1000 car-wash".

Over-inflation theoretically leads to wear in the centre of the tread, but tyres have such strong belts that this isn't really much of a problem. However, excessive camber together with over-inflation can lead to premature wear in those parts of the tyre that aren't belted.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies! Will I need to recalibrate the tire pressure monitoring system after lowering the pressure to 33 PSI? I assume that I'll only need to reset it if a dash light comes on, which could happen since the pressure will be dropping by more than 10 PSIs.

Also, how long does a car need to be parked in the garage before the tires are considered cold? Am I correct to assume that eight hours would be sufficient?

When it comes time to fill tires at the air pump, do you normally add a pound or two to account for the fact that the tires are not cold (assuming that you had to drive to the air pump).

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 07 Rondo EX, 89 Chevy C1500
1,411 Posts
The Souls seem to wear the OE tires fairly well with 33-35 psi. 8hrs is more than enough to get to "cold" temp. As to adding a couple psi, if the pump is only a few blocks away, then it may not be necessary. More than that and a couple more psi more should be sufficient.

·
Registered
Cerato
692 Posts
Pressure variation with temperature is easy to estimate. Pressure is proportional to absolute temperature.

e.g. 36 PSI at 20°C will be 38.5 PSI at 40°C, a typical scenario.

36 X (40+273) / (20+273) = 38.5

Tyres sitting in direct sunlight will also heat up, so watch that when measuring "cold".

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great, thanks!

Not to be paranoid, but what else does the pre-delivery inspection encompass? Is there anything else that I should double-check on the vehicle, in the event that the dealership didn't perform a thorough pre-delivery inspection?

I did take plastic off from countless places within the car, but that doesn't bother me. I am more worried about fluid levels and the like. Do new vehicles ship from the factory with a full reserve of fresh motor oil?

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 07 Rondo EX, 89 Chevy C1500
1,411 Posts
Great, thanks!

Not to be paranoid, but what else does the pre-delivery inspection encompass? Is there anything else that I should double-check on the vehicle, in the event that the dealership didn't perform a thorough pre-delivery inspection?

I did take plastic off from countless places within the car, but that doesn't bother me. I am more worried about fluid levels and the like. Do new vehicles ship from the factory with a full reserve of fresh motor oil?
All fluids levels are checked, and adjusted if needed. Tire psi is set. Operation of all components is checked. All interior and exterior protective plastic is removed. A test drive is performed to check for any abnormal noises and to check suspension, brakes, and powertrain operation.

It sounds like a few steps were missed on yours.

·
Registered
Cerato
692 Posts
Only problem I found with our KIA was:
1. Carpet folded under accelerator pedal preventing full application.
2. Rear seat belt twisted, remove and refit.

BTW, just checked tyre pressures. Short run to town (20 km): Tyres started at 30°C and ended at 45°C. Pressure increased from 36 PSI to 38 PSI, as per calculation. Tyres returned to ambient temperature after 2 hours. Country running will probably be similar; more heat but also more airflow.

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,540 Posts
when I took delivery of my Soul, I created my own check list and spent a good 30 minutes or more going over the vehicle (with the help of the wife) to make sure nothing had been missed, it's much easier to find any problems at this point, than have to come back later - in my case I did not find a thing and the car was immaculate.

It's also a good opportunity to ask any questions you may have about anything when you do a thorough check like this.
I also did this before I paid a cent too. It pays to take you time on a large purchase.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts