Kia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Kia Sorento SX Regency Red, 2012 Kia Sorento SX, 2011 Toyota Hiace
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

It will be my first winter here in CA and my Sorento SX' first winter too.
Now, im on the lookout for the best (not most expensive but not too cheap either) winter tires that will fit my 18" OEM chrome wheels.

You can post your winter tires and some comments and/or suggestions would be fantastic.

·
Registered
2013 Forte Koup SX; 2012 Kia Sorento SX; 2012 Kawasaki Z1000
1,006 Posts
lol.. ok.. i have the nokian hakkapelita r.. in my stock rims (mirror finished alloy rims) they are not chrome by the way.. never slid. good in snow and black ice traction.. my esc barely activated in the winter.. blizzaks are good but wear out faster.. only good for 2 seasons

·
Banned
2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD
707 Posts
The Nokians are awesome tires if you can find them. I've used Blizzaks in the past and was very happy with them. I got 3 seasons out of a set on my SUV when I lived in a snowy part of Connecticut.

·
Registered
2012 Sorento EX V6 AWD w/Sunroof, RIDES a 2012 Suzuki GSXR 600
189 Posts
Nokian!! Had them on my previous car and will buy a set for my Sorento too!!

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
this is my winter tire in the sorento.. i just based it on my driving so chose this type.. there's a lot of black ice around here in winter and some slush too

Nokian Hakkapeliitta R SUV

some places are out of stock already so might as well check it out.. KAL tire sells them in our stock size for CAD 1200$ including everything..

·
Registered
2013 Sorento ex luxury, 2014 Subaru Crosstrek XV
82 Posts
Just bought my first ever set of Bridgestone blizzak WS-70's Costco had a sweet deal on them...can't wait for snow.
Picked up the same deal at Costco ($100 off ) as well as the hub concentric steel rims for the Sorento and like you can't wait for the first heavy snow fall.
I went with the 225 x 65 x 17" they wouldn't sell me the 215's said they did not meet the load rating.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Sorento EX V6
198 Posts
I went with the 235/65R/17 and their steel rims at $38 bucks each I couldn't justify a set of alloy rims for winter...now that will be a different story when the summers need replacement.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
this is my winter tire in the sorento.. i just based it on my driving so chose this type.. there's a lot of black ice around here in winter and some slush too

Nokian Hakkapeliitta R SUV

some places are out of stock already so might as well check it out.. KAL tire sells them in our stock size for CAD 1200$ including everything..
That seems close to what Kal Tire quoted me. $1295.57 all in all with wheel balancing and installation, with the winter tires costing $281.47 apiece.

A friend told me the sweet deal with having tires installed with KalTire is that you get free wheel rotation, unlimited repair and change back to summer/all-season tires.

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 12 Sedona LX
1,413 Posts
Nokians are the absolute best, hands down. Finding them really isn't a problem, they can be easily ordered online, but the real problem is affording them.

The Blizzaks are probably the next highest rated, and considerably cheaper than the Nokians.

·
Registered
2012 Sorento SX,Shelby Cobra GT500,'12 Nissan Sentra,'09 Ford Focus
123 Posts
I love my TOYO'S Open Country a little loud on DRY pavement but what traction and very SMOOTH, this is going to be my 4th winter with only 3/32" wear off 14/32" in 40.000kms...had these on my '08 Santa Fe previously and now on my Sorento...235-70-16" on steel rims.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've ordered the Nokians and will have it installed next friday.

We had some snow here yesterday and today and so far, I haven't detected a slip in my all-season tires. Does this mean the Kumho Solus isn't bad at all despite the bad reviews about it, or maybe Im not driving fast enough to test its traction when cornering or starting/stopping hard?

·
Banned
2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD
707 Posts
I've ordered the Nokians and will have it installed next friday.

We had some snow here yesterday and today and so far, I haven't detected a slip in my all-season tires. Does this mean the Kumho Solus isn't bad at all despite the bad reviews about it, or maybe Im not driving fast enough to test its traction when cornering or starting/stopping hard?
All season tires are OK for the occasional dusting, but they're just not meant for any significant snow. They might appear OK, at first, until you need to stop. :)

I think you'll be very happy with the Nokkians.

Best,

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've ordered the nokkians but I don't think i'll have them installed yet, because its getting warm again. And I don't like to wear them easily as they're not cheap.

Might as well stick to my all-seasons for now.

Many people already had them in their cars because of the first fall of snow last thursday.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento EX AWD V6 Limited/Panoramic
420 Posts
I use Blizzaks. They have worked great for me. My son is on a ski team and we are in the mountains a lot. I got Blizzaks and a separate set of wheels when I first got my Sorento. They have worked great for me. I usually try and put them on as late as possible and take them off asap, to reduce wear.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Had the Nokian Hakkapelliitas installed yesterday and i've never been happier!
You will surely feel the added grip and traction when manoeuvring on snowy roads with bits of ice (it started snowing here in last Oct 11).

I'm $1250 poorer but a thousandfold safer :)

·
Registered
2012 Sorento EX V6 AWD w/Sunroof, RIDES a 2012 Suzuki GSXR 600
189 Posts
WOW!!!! The stock Kuhmos SUCK in just a little bit of snow!!! They are almost dangerous.
Yikes I need winter tires ASAP.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
WOW!!!! The stock Kuhmos SUCK in just a little bit of snow!!! They are almost dangerous.
Yikes I need winter tires ASAP.
yes even the best rated by Scandinavian testers (nokian) will slip on black ice.. so better change that right away

1 - 20 of 34 Posts