Kia Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2010 KIA Rio LX Midnight Black.. CAI.. 6000k HID..
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am changing the plugs on my '10 LX and trying to see what are the best type for the engine. I only use synthetic oil, looking for the best gas mileage. Or performance, whichever are best for my car!

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 07 Rondo EX, 89 Chevy C1500
1,411 Posts
Whenever I change plugs on Rios, I use NGKs, part# 2382. They are just a standard resistor plug, which is what all those Rios came with from the factory. I believe they cost around $2 each, maybe even less.

There are platinum and iridium plugs available, but you could change the standard plugs multiple times for the same price. Platinum and iridium plugs will last longer, and possibly provide a very slight performance increase(noticeable???), but cost more. If you decide to go with these, I'd go with NGKs, or Densos if available. I'd stay away from Autolites, as I have seen them break off ground electrodes and cause engine damage.

·
Registered
2010 KIA Rio LX Midnight Black.. CAI.. 6000k HID..
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ive always used bosch +2's on my vehicles and they work wonders. ?

·
Registered
Kia Rio5 2010
86 Posts
I have to buy some plugs for my 2010 rio,still debating on what spark plugs to get standard NGK or some bosh platinum...Please help me decide:D

·
Registered
2009 Rio5 :)
33 Posts
Standard plugs unless you have upgraded you ignition, or grounding system, along with better wires....

Sorry. They really market to us so much. Our electrical systems are not meant for these Platinum 4's or what ever kick butt $6 - $8 plug they are selling right now.

Use regular copper plugs, your choice as to brand. Use a loop for gapping, not that disk thing, and you really shouldn't have to worry about them for 60 to 100 thousand miles.

Well... That's my two cents. Hope it helps.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Standard plugs unless you have upgraded you ignition, or grounding system, along with better wires. Our electrical systems are not meant for these Platinum 4's or what ever kick butt $6 - $8 plug they are selling right now.
Not sure where you're coming from with this idea. The ignition system just makes a spark and this has nothing to do with the type of electrode. Electrode type influences longevity more than anything else. It's usually only the centre electrode that is made of exotic metal. Heat rating of the plug is determined by insulator length and design the of centre terminal. Correct installation is also important.

·
Registered
33 Posts
OK Cuda,
You get a +1 for that.

Here are the brass tacks though. Do you have a high performance engine? High compression? Low compression with boost? Aftermarket ignition system? Do you have to run a different gap on your plugs? This is what you would need a smaller filament, or iridium for.

(PS they do have to put a resister in plat, gold and silver plugs because of the skinny filament)

You will also not notice a gain in HP or MPG unless your current plugs are just horrible. I would go with the NKG's so +1 for the 2382's.

Easiest way for quick and easy MPG and MPG are Cold Air Intake, and Freer Exhaust.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Here are the brass tacks though. Do you have a high performance engine? High compression? Low compression with boost? Aftermarket ignition system? Do you have to run a different gap on your plugs? This is what you would need a smaller filament, or iridium for.

(PS they do have to put a resister in plat, gold and silver plugs because of the skinny filament)

You will also not notice a gain in HP or MPG unless your current plugs are just horrible. I would go with the NKG's so +1 for the 2382's.

Easiest way for quick and easy HP and MPG are Cold Air Intake, and Freer Exhaust.
We were talking about an LX Rio, I thought? No doubt high performance engines could do with a little ignition tweaking; no arguments there.

You can even go for plug indexing if you want that extra 1% (aligning the electrodes). Had an Alfa once with Golden Lodge plugs; central electrode with 4 ground electrodes; no indexing required, but fouled at low speeds.

Two of our cars have Iridium plugs; seem to be OK. Considering upgrading the Cerato when time comes to change the plugs.

I thought the resistor was for electrical noise suppression?

·
Registered
33 Posts
"Over the years variations on the basic spark plug design have attempted to provide either better ignition, longer life, or both. Such variations include the use of two, three, or four equally spaced ground electrodes surrounding the central electrode. Also there is the use of a V-shaped notch in the tip of the ground electrode. Multiple ground electrodes generally provide longer life, as when the spark gap widens due to electric discharge wear, the spark moves to another closer ground electrode. The disadvantage of multiple ground electrodes is that a shielding effect can occur in the engine combustion chamber inhibiting the flame face as the fuel air mixture burns. This can result in a less efficient burn and increased fuel consumption." Wiki

"Copper spark plugs are generally considered to have the best performance of any spark plug type. This is potentially different from what advertising companies suggest, but the other metals are, unfortunately, not as conductive in general as copper is. Platinum and iridium plugs are more likely to overheat, which causes damage to the plug components and can compromise the delivery of the spark to the engine block." Source

"The age old question of whether or not a spark plug can really increase the performance and economy of a vehicle has raged on for years. While in general the basic consensus is no, to be quite honest there is definitely sufficient evidence out there today that not all spark plugs are created equal." Car and Driver

Anyway this is one of those threads that are like "What's the best motor oil?" Everyone out there will have an opinion, and we are probably all correct in our own way.

Will you get better MPG's with a more expensive plug? No..
More power. Only if your old plugs are horrible.
Will you have to change your plugs less often with Iridium or Platinum Plugs? Yes They will last twice as long or longer. Look for quality not price. Try not to get plugs that have multiple spark jumps spots (like plat 4's). The plug might last even longer, but more of the spark will be hidden from the stuff you are trying to ignite.

Oh... the resistors... just like any other wiring the current in a wire is effected by the size of the wire. The thinner the wire with more current going through it the more problems you've got, so you must compensate. So noise suppression is a good term. Coil pack protector, or plug overheating deterrent would probably be more accurate though.

When my car was stock, I used copper.
It's not stock. Still using copper.
The only cars that I can think of not using copper plugs use it for extended service intervals not for any other reasons.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts