Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Sportage SX AWD
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
New Kia owner as of 4 days ago. SX AWD 2014

I noticed that every time I get in the vehicle, the recirculation button is always off. It also turns off automatically when I turn off the a/c or heat. Any way to get it to stay on?

sportage sx4

·
Registered
2014 Sportage SX AWD
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't want it to be on all the time. I just prefer it to keep the setting I select. plus here in Houston there's a lot of diesel trucks, pick ups and 18 wheelers, and they stink.

my Accord and my CR-V and also my my wife's Corolla, my mom's Camry and my dad's Sienna would stay on if I had it on, didn't matter if the vehicle was turned off or if I turn off the a/c or heater. and vice versa, it would stay off if I had it off.

·
Registered
2011 Sportage TX 1.7 CRDI
15 Posts
Ok I hear you. I was just wondering why. I live in the countryside so I, generally speaking, have it always on sucking in outside air. Never thought anything of it. Plus it's my first car with auto climate control. Others are/were all manual...?

·
Registered
2000 Buick LeSabre Custom (358k miles, and going strong)
106 Posts
It turns off whenever you use AC or Defrost because the car draws in fresh air. You can't override this while defrosting. It is how the AC system works, and the defroster uses your AC system to function. If it didn't turn off the recirculate, it would keep fogging up your windows worse with the moisture that you and your passengers exhale when you breathe.

It turns off automatically when you start your car to allow fresh air into the vehicle again in anticipation of the need to defrost the windows, or run the AC in the summer.

Both are automatic features of all cars that have a recirculating option.

·
Registered
2011 KIA Sportage SX, 2016 Ford Focus RS
466 Posts
Recirculate is only supposed to be for getting climate control to your preferred temperature more quickly than pulling in outside air. The AUTO mode of the system will use recirculate when it is really hot to get the inside temps down as quickly as possible, then switch back to fresh air.

Most people put their car in recirculate and leave it there, they are doing it wrong.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sportage LX, 6spd manual
184 Posts
Recirculate is only supposed to be for getting climate control to your preferred temperature more quickly than pulling in outside air. The AUTO mode of the system will use recirculate when it is really hot to get the inside temps down as quickly as possible, then switch back to fresh air.

Most people put their car in recirculate and leave it there, they are doing it wrong.
People also use it when behind smelly cars. My BMW actually senses dirty air and automatically turns on recirculation. Usually behind poor running diesels.

·
Registered
466 Posts
People also use it when behind smelly cars. My BMW actually senses dirty air and automatically turns on recirculation. Usually behind poor running diesels.
True, I also meant to write that it can be used when you drive past the dump but forgot to finish my thoughts.

·
Registered
2013 Sorento LX V6 AWD
1,141 Posts
True, I also meant to write that it can be used when you drive past the dump but forgot to finish my thoughts.
Or when driving by cattle or pig ranches.

·
Registered
23 Posts
In KIA's sales training they mention the recirculate feature quite a bit. Almost as if they got sued because of windows fogging up. I know this doesn't explain anything, it just odd to me why they have trained hard on it.

I prefer recirculate to avoid cigarette smoke getting sucked into my car. I cannot imagine because I want to avoid bad smells coming into the car means I am using the recirculate feature the wrong way...

·
Registered
828 Posts
You're not using it wrong - that's perfectly legit - I do the same thing anytime I get stuck at a light with smokers all around. It will stay on Recirc as long as you want it, but it will default to normal operation when you turn the car off and restart. Normal operation may include Recirc in hot weather depending on the temperature in the car. You may have success getting it to stay on Recirc after a restart if you leave Auto mode on the climate control. IOW, turn off auto, set Recirc and see it it stays the next time you start it. In Auto, it will follow the program and Recirc will be turned off when it is not needed.
BTW, I'm not anti-smoking. I smoked cigarettes for most of my life and cigars after the cigarettes until last year. I consider myself fortunate to still have my health and the wind to still play sax professionally. But I really don't like the second-hand smoke now, esp. in my car.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Saxman, my car will keep the recirculate on after restarting the vehicle. If I change modes then go back to the vent position it turns back on. And the auto feature isn't being used.

My car does randomly turn off the recirculation. I just chock that up to a quirk of the car. It happens only about once a month.

And those of us who use our recirc to keep smells out are using the system as KIA describes in the owners manual. An expcert from page 4-85 of the 2011 Sportage owner's manual.

Operation Tips

•To keep dust or unpleasant fumes from entering the vehicle through the ventilation system, temporarily set the air intake control to the recirculated air position.Be sure to return the control to the fresh air position when the irritation has passed to keep fresh air in the vehicle.This will help keep the driver alert and comfortable.
Why do people spread so much misinformation on this forum?

·
Registered
466 Posts
As your quote from the manual says, TEMPORARILY use the recirculate setting. Don't put it there and leave it forever as most people do.

·
Registered
23 Posts

As you said ONLY.

I leave it there most of the time as I am smell sensitive. Plus it helps keep down allergies.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Mine stays in the setting that I last had it at. In defrost it will not recirculate. I keep mine on recirculate mainly because it keeps my interior temp a bit cooler more easily since it doesn't have to cool "fresh" air constantly. You may not notice this if you live in cooler climates but here in the south 95+ is common.

·
Registered
2017 Sportage LX
24 Posts
I notice the recirculate will only stay on for about 5 minutes and then goes off today when I was using the heat. Seems KIA should let me decide, if windows fog up I can turn off recirculate. I wasn't too happy about that, but guess I can press it again. Damn cars anymore are taking any common sense away and letting some dumb ass engineer design computer programs to do what our brain should be doing. My 2016 Nissan and 1996 Dodge don't turn off after any length of time. Toyota have an override if you hold recirculate button for 5 seconds it won't go off, well they use to have that feature.

·
Registered
2014 Sportage LX
5 Posts
If you only use recirculate, wouldn't that eventually reduce the amount of oxygen in the air inside the vehicle? This could lead to drowsiness and such, probably why KIA says to only use it temporarily.

·
Registered
466 Posts
If you only use recirculate, wouldn't that eventually reduce the amount of oxygen in the air inside the vehicle? This could lead to drowsiness and such, probably why KIA says to only use it temporarily.
Yes, this is why you aren't supposed to use recirc all the time. It's especially an issue if a passenger compartment seal fails and you get a small leak of exhaust gasses into the vehicle.

·
Registered
2016, Kia Optima EX
2 Posts
I notice the recirculate will only stay on for about 5 minutes and then goes off today when I was using the heat. Seems KIA should let me decide, if windows fog up I can turn off recirculate. I wasn't too happy about that, but guess I can press it again. Damn cars anymore are taking any common sense away and letting some dumb ass engineer design computer programs to do what our brain should be doing. My 2016 Nissan and 1996 Dodge don't turn off after any length of time. Toyota have an override if you hold recirculate button for 5 seconds it won't go off, well they use to have that feature.
I agree with you! If people are stupid enough NOT to learn why you turn the recirc is on or off, there should be a "I'm a dumbass idiot" button to turn all these idiot features on or off. I drive many miles behinddirt trucks and hate the smell. It actually gives me a headache for the whole day. The auto feature is dependant on outside temperature vs inside to determine whether or not to recirc or not. But i still REQUIRE and i stress to Kia customer support "REQUIRE" this suto feature to be disabled!! I know why and when and how to use the recirc. I am not one of the dumbasses that don't know. So stop diverting the question and directly answer "can the auto recirculation feature be turned of??"

1 - 20 of 21 Posts