Kia Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I just got my dads 2014 kia sorento a remote start for christmas. my issue with this is that as soon as i open the driver side door the sorento shuts off.

the dealership told me it was for security and nothing could be done. is this true? its the first time i hear about this with any remote car starter. i find it completely useless to remote start a vehicle and then ten min later have to manually start it again..

i tried the search function but after the third page i gave up..

2014 kia sorento one way remote start with a key start

any information or links would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I would find this annoying too.
Obviously there is a wire connecting to the door switch (connected to the body control module and that activates the interior lights too). THis wire does have a colour and the diagram coming with the remote start module should give a clue....unless a true OEM device can connect directly into the BCM and ECM....and you are then stuck with a computer that pretends to be much more intelligent that you are.....like several other devices already built in the car (ABS, ESC, Traction control.....door locks....etc..etc..)
By the way....knowing the very cold temperatures we have been trough on Canada, (wherever you live) , do you have a block heater installed (I have not..but i keep the car in the garage) ....but many remote starters can be programmed to start the engine a few minutes at various intervals, depending on temperature or simply timed

·
Registered
514 Posts
The "factory" remote start (it's not a Kia system, just an aftermarket one rebranded with the Kia logo) on our 2015 does not shut off when the door is opened. You simply get in and press the start button without touching the brake, the radio and A/C go off for a few seconds but the engine continues to run.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I don't have a factory starter but my Viper starter keep the car running until I press the brake and then the car takes over and everything else turns on. If i don't press the brake within 45 secs of unlocking the door or press on the brake without the key fob inside the car then it will shut off and all I have to do is press the start button to restart the car.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
I owned a 2014 with an aftermarket remote starter (installed at purchase)...never experienced this before. It behaved exactly as my actual oem starter. I had 15 seconds to depress the brake pedal and push the start button before the engine shut off.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
LMP - no block heater..never needed one in the area i live in ..GTA. thats exactly what my friend who is a FORD mechanic said.. all he had to do was cut a wire and it bypassed that function when he installed his remote start in his own 2017 ford f150..

THE WIZARD - my dads isnt a push start..as soon as the door opens it shuts off..

tigrr07 - my vehicle is similar..but i have to put the key in the on position before i step on the brake to put it in gear..mine is also non factory

eflyguy - i took a picture of what it says..

josuet - my dads is an actual key not a push start..

i went with a kia remote start to keep evrything oem..i was told that their system was plug and play, no splicing or cutting of wires required.. but im disappointed with the result. my parents are on vacation and i wanted to surprise then when they got back but im not sure how hes going to feel about restarting his sorento after 10 mins..

thanks for the replies, i appreciate it.

Attachments

·
Registered
129 Posts
Ok, so let me get this straight, the car shuts off after 10 mins? But if you get into the car before the 10 mins is up and insert the key and press the brake, it won't shut off? If that's the case it's all good. Or it shuts off as soon as you open the door, cause even though it would be annoying, it's not difficult to restart the car. I have to restart the car once in a while when I have to buckle up my kid in the back or load groceries. Also remote starters are programmed to shut off after XX amount of minutes so you don't forget and leave the car running. Min is programmed to shut off after 15mins.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Ok, so let me get this straight, the car shuts off after 10 mins? But if you get into the car before the 10 mins is up and insert the key and press the brake, it won't shut off? If that's the case it's all good. remote starters are programmed to shut off after XX amount of minutes so you don't forget and leave the car running. Min is programmed to shut off after 15mins.
No, that's not the case. OP means the engine shuts off when the door is opened.

Capture.JPG

·
Registered
18 Posts
My wife's '15 is the same as the Wizard's, except she doesn't even have to press the start button, just open the door, put her foot on the brake and put the car in gear. I at first thought the engine would shut off, because it got really quiet in the car. But it's just the heater blower shutting down for a few seconds and then slowly building back up to speed. Maybe it's so you can hear the screaming when you throw it in reverse without looking at the backup screen...:eek: A word to the wise. I started the car for her recently using the remote starter button, which is on her key fob. A short time later I went out to put something in the car for her. The engine continued to run when I unlocked and opened the door. As I was not going with her I dropped the key fob in a cup holder, which is what she would do herself. I closed the door and went back inside. Little did I know that the 10 minute timer was still running. The engine shut off and relocked the doors...WITH THE KEY INSIDE THE CAR!!!! Fortunately, she knew where the spare key was, which is not always the case. So just keep my experience in mind when using your remote start.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Well it's clearly noted in the instructions, it would seem. Crazy..

I wonder if the key vs. pushbutton start is the difference...

·
Registered
97 Posts
Sounds to me as though they want to make sure the driver puts the key in before driving off. Think about what would happen if the throttle stuck while driving and the key and fob are in the driver's pocket. Real difficult to quickly shut off the engine.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts