Kia Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Kia Rondo EX V6
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received a letter from Hyundai/Kia last week that they want to recruit certain models of cars for emission testing after 10,000+ miles. They will need the car for about a week and put on around 100 miles on the odometer. If I choose to participate and my car is picked, I will have a new compatible model loan car with a full tank of gas during the testing period and I can put on up to 1400 miles on it. They will return my car with a full tank of gas, inside and outside cleaned, and a $150 gas card.
Does it sound like a good offer? :huh:

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,960 Posts
RED FLAGS!!!

Is this from Hyundai/KIA or from a specific "dealer"???
Dealers are known to come up with "new ideas" to get you into the dealership
and "hook" you on the car you were driving... It's awfully unusual that two "separate" companies would make an offer like this...They both are two separate entities and their "testing" usually involves separate tests....
It just feels "strange"...Before getting involved CALL Hyundai and KIA Corporate offices... You making the call insures you are ACTUALLY talking to THEM and not some sham operation that gets your car and loads it onto a container ship bound for Abudabi before you find you've been dupped.
Dave

·
Super Moderator
6,960 Posts
Some other thoughts come to mind...
They pick up your car with the promise to "deliver" the loaner car in the morning..
The car arrives being a rental from a local rental place.. Rented under false pretenses.
You sign a "standard waver" legal form that you DON'T read fully giving them power of attorney to SELL your car... They pocket the money...You get...rental fees...and picked up for driving a stolen rental car....
Please be careful...
If it's not legit...get your local police or FBI involved...they may be able to "play" the game with them and remove this type of scam from your area..
Dave

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra, 2021 K5 GT Line
4,789 Posts
Dave and the OP.....My sister in law lives in Ann Arbor, not far from me. She did the same deal with her Lexus. Everything went fine. I'm not saying it's the same company. Hers was not a scam. She got her car back fine, Nice new loner car, and a check.

·
Super Moderator
6,960 Posts
Come on...You can trust US we're just like Lexus :)..
Really good SCAMS "look" good on letterhead and printed envelopes with pre-paid postage. I just went through getting new cards and a near $1000 unauthorized "wire transfer" of my funds... Only a vigilant security department (probably software) at Fifth/Third Bank noticed the fraud attempt and BLOCKED my checking/savings/cards with out me loosing a cent... A client's computer behind a fire wall and running Windows XP/EI9/Java and Anti-Virus Software was attacked by a "ZERO DAY" exploit.

Do a "GOOGLE" search on ZERO DAY and the vulnerabilities
of Windows (XP/Vista/7) and Internet Explorer (6/7/8/9)

They then installed a keylogger program that sent my user name and password...
I was on less than 2 minutes and only checked the account balance... Three hours later the attempt was made to "send" my cash to a commercial bank account in the western US.

I will only check my accounts on my OWN Linux machine with Firefox and NO Java from now on.

I am not perfect but when RED FLAGs or deals that look too good to pass up... I question them closely... The "Hyundai/KIA" joint venture looks suspicious but may be legit..
Dave

·
Registered
2008 Kia Rondo EX V6
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This letter is from the Hyundai/Kia. There are many automobile laboratories in this area. I don't think this is a scam as it listed some details information about my car on the letter. The test will be conducted at the Hyundai/Kia America Technical Center in my area where I will drop off and pick up the loan car at. I am just curious if the incentive is good enough. If it sounds too good to be true for you, that means it is a good deal then. :D

·
Super Moderator
6,960 Posts
Looks like everything is fine and i'd say it is worth doing. I doubt that they would harm your car and may run it through any needed repairs they my find wrong.
A new car to drive.
Your car cleaned and filled with gas...
$150 gas card...
I hope they choose you.
Dave

·
Registered
2008 Kia Rondo EX V6
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have replied to them last week, but I have not heard back from them yet. I would keep my finger crossed. ;)

·
Registered
2020 Kia Optima LX, '12 Cadillac SRX-4, '02 Honda Goldwing
32 Posts
I got a letter like that a couple years ago and didn't get chosen.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts