Kia Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
2023 Sportage X-PRO Prestige AWD
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My KIA Connect is showing a recall # SC257 which says that there is a defect on the Side Curtain Airbag and may cause improper deployment of it. Did you get this recall?

· Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
This recall is only for USA-built Sportage. I guess U.S.A workers in the Georgia plant are sloppy. Some side airbag modules were installed improperly, that's what the recall says. Below is what I see when I log in to my KIA owners' portal Safety Recalls page.

Font Rectangle Parallel Screenshot Number

· Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was one of the unlucky! Today they kept my car and gave me a rented one. Do you know how long for repair?
I was visiting my son last month and went to a dealer near his house. The dealer’s service department had to order a part. It was too late because I was gone when I got a call that the part for the recall has arrived. I haven’t gone to my dealer here in my home state.

· Registered
2 Posts
Took my car to de dealership on Jan/20 and they identified that is something different on the airbag from picture that Kia gave on the manual, so they are holding my car since Kia did no authorized the maintenance. They even said that maybe they would send it to and engineer to look at. :(

Does the dealership have to give you a rented car that has the same features as yours while waiting?
Does anybody knows how long they can hold my car? After that can I inquire for a new one?

Here is the complete official documentation about this recall
Check for Recalls: Vehicle, Car Seat, Tire, Equipment | NHTSA

· Registered
2022 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
508 Posts
Took my car to de dealership on Jan/20 and they identified that is something different on the airbag from picture that Kia gave on the manual, so they are holding my car since Kia did no authorized the maintenance. They even said that maybe they would send it to and engineer to look at. :(

Does the dealership have to give you a rented car that has the same features as yours while waiting?
Does anybody knows how long they can hold my car? After that can I inquire for a new one?

You'll never get a new one over an airbag recall. These ICE Sportages sure seem to have more problems than the Hybrids built in Korea.

· Registered
2023 Sportage EX Hybrid
193 Posts

Loaners can be whatever the dealer has available to offer, if at all.

You'd have to check your state laws, but in my state (PA), if the dealer has your vehicle for 30 days or more (cumulative) in the first 12 months or 12,000 miles for any number of issues, it automatically qualifies for Lemon Law under Breach of Warranty Contract. Under the terms of Lemon Law, you could be offered a full buy back or MSRP swap for another new one.

· Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The recall is for fixing a “twisted” install of the side curtain airbags. Is KIA employing improperly trained workers on the production floor in the Georgia plant? How could this be? Twisted? Is this sabotage?

· Registered
823 Posts
The recall is for fixing a “twisted” install of the side curtain airbags. Is KIA employing improperly trained workers on the production floor in the Georgia plant? How could this be? Twisted? Is this sabotage?
I'd say inexperienced.
And I don't think it's a sabotage. A lot of the workers here are actually very happy with their jobs.
From what I've heard, it shouldn't affect a huge number of vehicles, maybe less than a day's worth of production, but it's regarding a safety product, so they're being careful.
The mistake was probably made by a temporary staff member filling in for the regular employee.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts