Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Sportage EX
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a recently announced recall for fires occurring in 2017-2021 Sportages. The fix appears to be two pronged.
1. Replacing two fuses with lower amperage ratings
2. Updating software for Sportages equipped with electronic parking brakes.

You are directed to not park your vehicle inside a garage or near a structure until the recall has been completed.

Anyone know which fuses are being replaced? I may just remove the fuses until I can get my car in for service.

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra, 2021 K5 GT Line
4,716 Posts
Under hood fuse block the 2 fuses are ABS1 and ABS2
You do know if you pull those fuses, ABS will not work. Just letting you know.

·
Registered
2019 Sportage EX
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Under hood fuse block the 2 fuses are ABS1 and ABS2
You do know if you pull those fuses, ABS will not work. Just letting you know.
Thanks. The HECU electronic module was referred to in the recall. I get the last two letters are Control Unit. What does that module do?

·
Registered
2019 Sportage EX
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. The HECU electronic module was referred to in the recall. I get the last two letters are Control Unit. What does that module do?
I somewhat question that a 30A fuse vs a 40A fuse will stop a fire from initiating. Do you have complete faith in this fix?

·
Registered
377 Posts
It should blow sooner. BUT there must have been a reason for them using a 40a in the first place. I'm sure it is not just because they had a bunch sitting around.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Hydraulic Electrical Control Unit.
Electric parking brake

·
Super Moderator
4,716 Posts
If you have EPB the recall has not been released for that yet.

Reactions: Lou O.

·
Registered
2019 Sportage EX
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you have EPB the recall has not been released for that yet.
So my wife just took her Sportage in this afternoon. No EPB on it (2019 EX). The dealer said they couldn't do anything in regard to the recall because they don't have the parts!! Who doesn't have 30A fuses in stock??

·
Super Moderator
4,716 Posts
So my wife just took her Sportage in this afternoon. No EPB on it (2019 EX). The dealer said they couldn't do anything in regard to the recall because they don't have the parts!! Who doesn't have 30A fuses in stock??
It's a recall kit. it more than just fuses in it.
What would you like us dealers to do?? If Kia can't supply us with the parts we can't do the recall.........
If you NEED to point fingers, point at Kia.

Reactions: JASmith and Lou O.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
1,391 Posts
Sounds to me the fix is more of a patch, and Kia engineering really does not have a good handle on what exactly to do to prevent a thermal event from occurring. Not uncommon. Every automaker always looks for the least expensive fix!

·
Super Moderator
4,716 Posts
Sometimes we call them band aids....

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage SX
51 Posts
I called my dealer to schedule service and asked about this recall. They said the "kit" (for repair) will not be able until July. You would think they would be acting faster if this was truly a serious issue and starting fires.

·
Registered
2020 kia sportage lx awd
168 Posts
I called and asked my dealer bout the recall and non issued for mine. Least not yet..

·
Registered
Sportage 2018 LX AWD with Premium Package
26 Posts
I had my recall done last week. The dealer told me that you have to make an appointment because Kia won't just send them a bunch of kits, but they have to request a kit once an appointment has been made. The update to my LX 2018 took 10 minutes.

·
Registered
2021 Kia Sportage LX AWD Sparkling Silver/Grey Interior
19 Posts
The recall kits are issued based on the VIN of the vehicle. You make your appointment and the dealer places an order for the kit. That sets a flag on your VIN with the NHTSA that the recall has been initiated on the vehicle. Once the recall has been implemented they send a completed notice to the NHTSA. After that when you check your VIN it will show as completed. If they just sent out the kits whilly nilly they would not be able to track what VINs had been satisfied. The kit has two 30amp fuses (one solid core and one surge wire), two stickers to correct the fusing diagram on the fuse box lid, instructions to the tech, and a sticker with the recall number to be applied to the driver's side door jam. The kit is available and in large supply. If a dealer says other wise they are either to busy with engine/transmission replacements to be bothered or they feel slighted by the minimal reimbursement they get for doing them to be bothered; 0.3 hours on the official Kia recall notice. The "not till July" is just smoke being blown up your back side. In most states you legally can ask for a loaner vehicle till the recall has been applied to your vehicle. Being a fire risk it elevates it to a higher classification. Asking for a loaner will magically have the recall kit available in 24-48 hours and them wanting to make that appointment for you. Funny how that works out. ;)

·
Registered
2020 Sportage lx
7 Posts
I called and asked my dealer bout the recall and non issued for mine. Least not yet..
I received notice yesterday at my Canadian 2020Lx is part of the recall. We are instructed to sit tight till they get parts. Oh... and don't park in the garage.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts