Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The engine in my wife's Rio suffered major internal damage (she was running it with almost no coolant or oil). I'm thinking about having it rebuilt instead of replacing the engine. For those engine experts in the crowd, how difficult is it to rebuild a 1.6? My son has a mechanic friend who is willing to do the job but he would like to get some illustrations of the breakdown of a 1.6. Thanks.

Mark

·
Registered
99 Kia Sephia manual tran no p/s or a/c, 98 Subaru LegOB
137 Posts
wow, bummer! my wife would do the same thing if I didn't check up on her car. Anyway, kiatechinfo.com might be your best bet. this is an official kia site with lots of tech info available. make an account and get your search going!

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,923 Posts
Why bother with an attempt to rebuild this motor...
Look at car-part.com

2009 Engine Kia Rio w/1yr war replace va 30 A M590NK $800 Precision Auto Parts USA-AZ(Phoenix) Request_Quote 1-602-232-5146 1-877-703-3583 Request_Insurance_Quote

An engine with only 30miles on it and under 250miles away for $800 would get my time/mileage/money... Pull the old one out and drop the "new" one in..
Dave

·
Registered
2009 Rio5 :)
33 Posts
This is a rough one. Depending on the damage this can get really expensive really quickly.

This is the manual for an automatic 2006 Hyundai Accent. It has the exact same motor as your Rio. It's like 250 pages long but it will tell you the diagrams, specs, torque for bolts, locations, and even how to remove the engine and transmission.

If you have any more questions just post here. I am going to monitor it.

The motor is known as a G4ED or Alpha II.

Guide to the G4ED

(and yes I named it 2009 Rio Engine because that is what I have... Rest assured, 2006 Accent.)

·
Registered
2009 Rio5 :)
33 Posts
Why bother with an attempt to rebuild this motor...
Look at car-part.com

2009 Engine Kia Rio w/1yr war replace va 30 A M590NK $800 Precision Auto Parts USA-AZ(Phoenix) Request_Quote 1-602-232-5146 1-877-703-3583 Request_Insurance_Quote

An engine with only 30miles on it and under 250miles away for $800 would get my time/mileage/money... Pull the old one out and drop the "new" one in..
Dave
If you put in a new engine, well... even if you rebuild the thing, you MUST get the ECU reflashed. I'm not talking just resetting the thing. Go to a dealer and let them flash it to the code on the engine. If you rebuild it you can send it to "those Ebay guys" that reflash it to the number on the side of the ECU. This is something most people forget, then they wonder why everyone with an original engine get 100 - 300K miles out of it yet rebuilts only average 75,000. Computers. Computers. Computers.

Also, if you do get a rebuilt go check out the shop. Would you take a child there, is it clean, do the people look competent? Sometimes you might have to pay more but, a place that rebuilds with quality should look more like a doctors office than a junkyard. :eek:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts