Kia Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
02 Sportage 4x4...66 Shelby GT350...70 Mercury Cyclone Spoiler
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
02 Sporty 4 door 4x4 automatic...The front is complete, now I am working on the back end. I have a question about the lubrication of the rear wheel bearings. Normally rear drive rear wheel bearings are lubricated by the rear end oil; however, after removing the axles from the sporty I noticed that there is an oil seal inside the axle tube, then there is the locknut, wheel bearing and another seal on the axle shaft itself. I am wondering, with the seal inside the axle tube, if the rear end oil is able to lubricate the bearing, or if I need to grease the bearing like the front. I guess if I grease it there would be no harm. What do you think?

·
Registered
2000 Sportage EX 4x4 A/T, 2008 Harley Davidson Nightrain
184 Posts
02 Sporty 4 door 4x4 automatic...The front is complete, now I am working on the back end. I have a question about the lubrication of the rear wheel bearings. Normally rear drive rear wheel bearings are lubricated by the rear end oil; however, after removing the axles from the sporty I noticed that there is an oil seal inside the axle tube, then there is the locknut, wheel bearing and another seal on the axle shaft itself. I am wondering, with the seal inside the axle tube, if the rear end oil is able to lubricate the bearing, or if I need to grease the bearing like the front. I guess if I grease it there would be no harm. What do you think?
I dont' know for sure myself, but with those seals it sounds like you would grease them to me. Unless they're sealed bearings by chance.

·
Premium Member
1999 Sportage A/T 4WD
987 Posts
On kiatechinfo.com it does not say to grease the rear wheel bearings.

I recently inspected the rear right wheel bearing, because my Sportage has been pulling to right for years and I hear a rubbing noise coming from the back of the car; the bearing appeared to me to be perfect. When I did that job I thought it was logical the presence of two oil seals, because the design is complicated by the presence of the backing plate, but now it is difficult to me to imagine how it works. As I have decided to inspect the rear differential, especially the right bearing, always chasing for that issue, I will have to remove again the rear axle shafts, so I will look at them trying to understand how the oil seals work.

However the bearing was oily and not greasy.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
On kiatechinfo.com it does not say to grease the rear wheel bearings.

I recently inspected the rear right wheel bearing, because my Sportage has been pulling to right for years and I hear a rubbing noise coming from the back of the car; the bearing appeared to me to be perfect. When I did that job I thought it was logical the presence of two oil seals, because the design is complicated by the presence of the backing plate, but now it is difficult to me to imagine how it works. As I have decided to inspect the rear differential, especially the right bearing, always chasing for that issue, I will have to remove again the rear axle shafts, so I will look at them trying to understand how the oil seals work.

However the bearing was oily and not greasy.
Thanks, the manual is not very specific on details. It just says remove and replace, without explaination. Oddly, my left bearing seemed to have grease on it, and the right bearing seemed to be free of grease. I go to KIA today to pick up my parts. I will see if I can talk to a technician for some guidance. Cheers..

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I picked up the bearings and seals today. I asked if I could talk to a technician about the lubrication of the bearings. The parts guy seemed to know what I was asking about, and said that the bearings needed to be greased.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks like a normal wheel bearing, roller type. I'll try to post pic, but may be a little while. Cheers

·
Registered
226 Posts
The rear bearings require grease. The axle lube does not and should not contaminate the bearings. I saw an old timer do it the wrong way. The vehicle came back with that wheel seized.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
After further review. The rear wheel bearings are one piece units, but not sealed. The outer race is part of the bearing, it doesn't come off. I guess during my removal process of the old one I managed to separate the outer race from the bearing, so it looked like a separate piece. Anyway, bearings are greased, and installed. The bearings are pressed on, and they also have a locknut for security. I took pictures of the bearings and seals, I just need to get them loaded up. Cheers

·
Registered
'02 Sportage 2 door.
339 Posts
Gotta a couple of questions.

Are you sure the outer wheel bearings are pressed on? I was just looking at the KIA manual and it doesn't mention anything about having to press the bearings on to the axle shaft.

I also read where it says to torque the lock nuts to 220 lb-ft. I'm wondering how in the world is this is possible considering they tell you to remove them with a hammer & chisel. Plus the fact they do not list a special tool which would be needed since the nuts would require a spanner wrench.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Gotta a couple of questions.

Are you sure the outer wheel bearings are pressed on? I was just looking at the KIA manual and it doesn't mention anything about having to press the bearings on to the axle shaft.

I also read where it says to torque the lock nuts to 220 lb-ft. I'm wondering how in the world is this is possible considering they tell you to remove them with a hammer & chisel. Plus the fact they do not list a special tool which would be needed since the nuts would require a spanner wrench.
Mine were pressed on. I tightened the locknut with a pliers, and then punch and hammer a little more. There is a lockwasher along with it, so it isn't going anywhere. Why the locknut?? I don't know!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts