Kia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 98 Sportage and have replaced the rear bearings and seals, several times. I'm sure it is something I am doing wrong. But can't figure it out. I need a good diagram, one that shows how everything goes back together (bearing and seal direction). I might have the bearing turned around, or something. I know they have to be torqued to spec and have done that. Anyone have any ideas? HELP, please :confused:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The main issue is, after I replace the bearings and seals & after a few weeks, the rear axels will start leaking rear end oil. The oil gets all over the brakes and rims. My main question is, which direction does the bearing go on? Large end, to the inside or outside? Oil seals, the smooth sides towards the bearing or is one or both turned around? I have replaced several bearings in other vehicles, in the past. This is the first vehicle that has given me a problem. Did Kia do something different?

·
Registered
02 Sportage 4x4...66 Shelby GT350...70 Mercury Cyclone Spoiler
196 Posts
The main issue is, after I replace the bearings and seals & after a few weeks, the rear axels will start leaking rear end oil. The oil gets all over the brakes and rims. My main question is, which direction does the bearing go on? Large end, to the inside or outside? Oil seals, the smooth sides towards the bearing or is one or both turned around? I have replaced several bearings in other vehicles, in the past. This is the first vehicle that has given me a problem. Did Kia do something different?
The open face of the seal should face the differential. It will act like a cup to hold the fluid from getting to your brakes/bearings. Is your bearing a one piece bearing? I posted some pictures of my bearings and seals if you look a few threads down you will see them. Keep in mind, I have an 02. I don't know if the set up is the same. Where did you get your parts from? Cheers.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pic didn't show up. The bearing is a one piece, Master Pro #A-10, from O'reillys. The last ones I took out where Timkins, bought from the local Kia dealer & where also one piece. Is the rib ring, shown on the diagram, attached to the bearing? If so, that may answer most of my questions.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Pic didn't show up. The bearing is a one piece, Master Pro #A-10, from O'reillys. The last ones I took out where Timkins, bought from the local Kia dealer & where also one piece. Is the rib ring, shown on the diagram, attached to the bearing? If so, that may answer most of my questions.
Did you look at my prior thread with the pictures? The ribbed ring is a lockring for the nut. There is a slot in the axle that a tab slides into, and then tighten the locknut so one of the tabs line up with one of the slots in the locknut, then bend the tab over. That wouldn't have anything to do with the oil getting past the seal though. You do have a seal in the axle tube; right? Did you have to press your bearing on to the axle?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
First of all, yes to all the above. I have a diagram off of the kiatech website, it shows a "rib ring" between the outer oil seal and the bearing. If you look at that diagram it is #4. Is this on the bearing, or another piece?

·
Registered
196 Posts
First of all, yes to all the above. I have a diagram off of the kiatech website, it shows a "rib ring" between the outer oil seal and the bearing. If you look at that diagram it is #4. Is this on the bearing, or another piece?
I guess I am looking at the wrong diagram. I see the seal retainer, the seal, the bearing, the locknut, and then the inner seal.

As far as your probelm, and I might be wrong, because I am used to the bearings being lubed by the diff oil; but my understanding of this set up is that the bearings must be greased, and there shouldn't be any oil getting to the bearing. If this is the case, then I would look to the inner seal as your problem. Again, this is just speculation on my part.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts