Kia Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2003 RIo
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to do my rear wheel bearings on my 2003 Rio. Just wondering if anyone has a drawing on the assembly. I would like to take a look before I take the wheel bearing out.

·
Registered
2003 Kia Rio
68 Posts
I have a 2003 Rio. The dealer supposedly replaced the right rear bearing after it went bad at 90,000. It went bad again 10,000 later after the 100,000 was up. I replaced it this time myself. Its easy as the inner and outer bearing only fit one way. Just pack them with grease good. And put in new races and seals. The dealer obviously didnt replace both inner and outer when he did mine. There were 2 different types of grease. I have since gave this dealer a bad rating on Repair Pal.

·
Registered
1999 Kia Sephia, 2016 Kia Optima SXL, 2019 Kia Soul Plus
1,108 Posts
I have to do my rear wheel bearings on my 2003 Rio. Just wondering if anyone has a drawing on the assembly. I would like to take a look before I take the wheel bearing out.
Heres a pic from http://www.kiatechinfo.com. If you haven't already, sign up for a free user ID. Its the same info Kia techs use. Good luck.

·
Registered
2001 Kia Rio 5-speed
110 Posts
the rear wheel bearings are crap from kia. get Timkin replacements. any industrial bearing supplier can order you a set. trust me, well worth the upgrade.
dont forget to pick up new outer races!

as for doing it... please search the forums before you post.

this link may be for drums, but they do contain the bearings ;)
http://www.kia-forums.com/1g-2g-2001-2005-rio/33950-replacing-drums.html#post156210

bearings fail from one of 3 reasons :

* Vibration
* Loss of Lubrication (too much lube prevents heat dissipation)
* Over Torqued (or under torqued if they need to have a 'preload' torque, which most front wheel bearings require)

·
Registered
2 Posts
rear bearing

Hi ,

Did you use original Kia bearing for the replacement? I replaced my 04 Kia Rio with the OEM version of wheel bearing and the humming noise came back just 2 to 3 months of driving. What is the bearing model or reference that you are using?

I have a 2003 Rio. The dealer supposedly replaced the right rear bearing after it went bad at 90,000. It went bad again 10,000 later after the 100,000 was up. I replaced it this time myself. Its easy as the inner and outer bearing only fit one way. Just pack them with grease good. And put in new races and seals. The dealer obviously didnt replace both inner and outer when he did mine. There were 2 different types of grease. I have since gave this dealer a bad rating on Repair Pal.

·
Registered
2001 Kia Rio 5-speed
110 Posts
the original Kia bearings are quite cheap in the quality department... i do recommend the Timkim brand.
take the bearing to an industrial bearing supply store, they will match it up for you.
Motion Canada is where i picked up mine.

·
Registered
1 Posts
FYI...Timken numbers are as follows: rear outer...SET4, rear inner...SET2, and just for good measure...fronts are SET11 for both inner and outer. Fits Kia Rio 2001-2005.

·
Registered
Lots
340 Posts
As posted above... Install the sets! Do your best to avoid anything that says "Made in China" or India.

And dont forget to purchase new seals with that.

make sure you have cleaned out all the old grease from the hub since its filled with all the crud that made it fail in the first place.

-SP

·
Registered
1 Posts
where do I find video to help me replace my back wheel bearings so I can start doing these things on my own....if you can direct me to a place that would be great....just got to see how it is done first

1 - 12 of 12 Posts