Kia Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Kia Sportage 1.6 CRDi 2018
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if every Sportage has this issue but it annoys me since the 1st day I bought the car. My car is fitted with manually-dimming rear view mirror which vibrates when I turn the music up a bit, when I drive on dirt roads, when I drive over potholes or when I shut any door. It also loses it's adjustment once I flick the switch to return it to normal operating position after I've dimmed it. As a result especially on dirt roads it's impossible to see anything behind which kind of contradicts the purpose of a soft roader (made to be driven off road?). I'm an Agronomist so I do drive a lot off road and since this didn't use to happen on my 25 year old Audi 80 Avant which I used to drive on the same roads before I bought the Kia, I know it's just a matter of inferior specced part. BTW I did take it to the authorized dealer and they did try another Sportage they had in the garage and it too had exactly the same problem.

Since the factory part is rubbish I'm looking to replace it with a non factory one. My question is has anyone tried to fit a different rearview mirror off another car maker and if yes what maker and was it any better than the factory fitted part?

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage
1,694 Posts
If you are going to change your rearview mirror, you might look at one with options like Homelink, a compass, and/or a built-in dash cam.... Most rearview mirrors with options are actually made by one company... Gentex and rebranded or used as OEM. Gentex mirrors usually fit well in most cars from my experience and are of decent quality.

·
Registered
Kia Sportage 1.6 CRDi 2018
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are you sure the mirror attachment screw is tight?
Well I had it checked at the dealer's and they told me they couldn't tighten it any more.

If you are going to change your rearview mirror, you might look at one with options like Homelink, a compass, and/or a built-in dash cam.... Most rearview mirrors with options are actually made by one company... Gentex and rebranded or used as OEM. Gentex mirrors usually fit well in most cars from my experience and are of decent quality.
I had a look at Gentex mirrors and they seem to be of very high quality and OEM look but they're quite a lot over my budget. If I cannot find a similar part from another brand then maybe I'll have to bite the bullet and go with Gentex. As I was looking over the internet though saw a couple of rear view mirrors from other manufacturers with similar attachment points (I think one of them was for Subaru BRZ) as well as parts from other Hyundai - Kia models which I was hoping they don't have the same problem.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage
1,694 Posts
I had a look at Gentex mirrors and they seem to be of very high quality and OEM look but they're quite a lot over my budget. If I cannot find a similar part from another brand then maybe I'll have to bite the bullet and go with Gentex. As I was looking over the internet though saw a couple of rear view mirrors from other manufacturers with similar attachment points (I think one of them was for Subaru BRZ) as well as parts from other Hyundai - Kia models which I was hoping they don't have the same problem.
There are lots of Gentex mirrors on eBay if you look carefully. A few of them are new. Just be careful that it can be used in your car. I've owned a lot of Gentex mirrors over the years and their quality is very good. IMO it is worth the few extra bucks...

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
1,436 Posts
Try a couple of heavy rubber bands around the circumference of mirror. Or, One on the left end, one on the right end. That should do the trick!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts