Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Sorento XM CRDi
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my Australian spec (Si) CRDi Sorento doesn't have the rear view mirror backup screen or camera so I purchased a used OEM item from a US eBay seller. The mirror arrived in good condition and I was able to find the pinouts online. It's basically a Gentex 657 model.
It also has auto dim as bonus.

I've bench tested it with a cheap backup camera I had in a box here and, although the image shows very clearly, it displays in black & white after startup. At startup, i.e. initial power connection, I can see the red, orange & green guidelines quite clearly in colour before they settle to greyscale.
This tells me that the screen is capable of displaying colour and all the pics I've seen of XM Sorento original backup mirrors show in colour.

My question is, does this US spec mirror require a dedicated NTSC camera? I'm not really up to speed on the technology but I see most reverse cameras being sold as NTSC/PAL so I assume some kind of auto-detection happens.

Thanks for any tips..

·
Registered
2012 Sorento XM CRDi
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, I’ve answered my own question. I ordered a $15 camera from eBay that replaces one of the number plate lights. It was marked as NTSC/PAL so there must be some kind of auto detection happening.
It works perfectly in full colour testing on the bench.

Now comes the tedious task of removing inner linings to pass all the wires. I’ll be passing rear park sensors wires at the same time.

·
Registered
2012 Sorento XM CRDi
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
It's all installed and working as required. Connecting to the RH reverse light in the rear door and passing the 3 core wire through wasn't as difficult as I'd imagined.

I'm glad I got an original mirror and I'm surprised by the quality of the cheap $15 reverse camera.
I saw an original Kia camera for sale on eBay for $269 (AUD). I have the complete installation with factory mirror for ~$120..

First attempt at posting a pic in this forum. This is the camera in place.
Also the screen showing in the mirror although the image is actually much clearer and better colour in real life than what my iPhone has produced.

Attachments

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento
8 Posts
Hello!! Niceee.. I’m working on the same project on my 2011 Kia Sorento. I obtained the Rear View Mirror, now looking for a camera.. by the way great info and photos you provided, I will share an update..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts