Kia Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2002 4DR 5 SPEED 2WD
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to auto zone and ordered a new tail pipe ( $35. ) problem is the old tailpipe flange is rusted or should i say bonded by rust onto the muffler rear flange, the two bolts are hardly recognized as bolts from the rust--question should i try and use a grinder and try and cut the old flange piece away from the muffler flange or take it to a muffler shop and pay them to use their torch to heat it off, don't want to break the flange on a $135. Rear muffler if i do it myself with the grinder and i imagine the muffler shop will charge an arm and a leg to take it off. Just looking for your idea's, thank you. IT LOOKS LIKE IT MAY BE THE ORIGINAL PIPE AND MUFFLER

·
Registered
'96 Camry v6 XLE, '00 Camry LE
2,175 Posts
Went to auto zone and ordered a new tail pipe ( $35. ) problem is the old tailpipe flange is rusted or should i say bonded by rust onto the muffler rear flange, the two bolts are hardly recognized as bolts from the rust--question should i try and use a grinder and try and cut the old flange piece away from the muffler flange or take it to a muffler shop and pay them to use their torch to heat it off, don't want to break the flange on a $135. Rear muffler if i do it myself with the grinder and i imagine the muffler shop will charge an arm and a leg to take it off. Just looking for your idea's, thank you. IT LOOKS LIKE IT MAY BE THE ORIGINAL PIPE AND MUFFLER
Just use the grinder to grind off the rusted nuts/bolts down to the flange and give it a couple of raps with a heavy hammer on each side of the flange to loosen up / break it apart.. If still no joy, use a punch to drive out the bolt hardware.
--
If the original muffler, and concerned w/ damaging it during the repair, call a muffler shop for an estimate - having the vehicle overhead on a lift doing this type of work is infinitely easier vs. a home repair enthusiast trying same on jack stands in the driveway.. (Estimate should be free, don't pay for one.)

GottaCruise

·
Registered
2012 Sportage LX / 1996 Fleetwood Brougham
16 Posts
I agree with GottaCruise practical solution, but before hammering the bolts and flange, I recommend spraying it with WD-40 spray or any Rust removal solvent and keep it for 2 hours before trying to hammer .... that helps too much in such cases.
The point is, After you solve the problem, and everything is in place... Try to spray the whole underside of the vehicle with the famous "Black Rubber Anti Rust" spray (Heat Proof)... and repeat that every 3-4 months, that proved excellent results on vehicle's life.
Asmar

1 - 3 of 3 Posts