Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sportage EX AWD, 2.4L, 6 Speed Auto
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else notice if your rear spoiler is starting to come off?
I've noticed that my rear spoiler is slowly separating from the vehicle. The driver's side corner has moved a strong 1/8" or .3175cm.
Not much but enough to notice a difference when compared to the passenger's side. I can see the glue residue from where it was attached.

Anyone else?:confused:

·
Registered
2011 Sportage SX
979 Posts
Is it the same on both sides? Maybe that crack has something to do with the separation? Maybe something hit it recently?

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra -- 2006 Grand Cheorkee limted Hemi.
4,422 Posts
Is it the same on both sides? Maybe that crack has something to do with the separation? Maybe something hit it recently?
I was think the same thing. Could have been a tree branch when the OP was not even in the Car.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, the other side is fine, no separation. The crack happened right where the spoiler is still affixed to the hatch. Nothing hit it, that I know of. It has been extremely cold here this week. Temps dropped below zero this week.
Noticed the separation started last year after warranty expired. During the summer, the separation wasn't as noticeable.

·
Registered
Car: 2016 Sportage 2.0 Petrol (Aussie)...Bike: Suzuki GSF1250S Bandit with sidecar
268 Posts
You don't go to one of those automatic car washers with the spinning brushes ?

·
Registered
1 Posts
No, the other side is fine, no separation. The crack happened right where the spoiler is still affixed to the hatch. Nothing hit it, that I know of. It has been extremely cold here this week. Temps dropped below zero this week.
Noticed the separation started last year after warranty expired. During the summer, the separation wasn't as noticeable.
The spoiler on my 2011 Kia Shortage has cracked as well on the driver's side in a similar place to yours. My crack is nearly 2 inches long however. It happened while I was in Louisville during the frigid temps in early March. The dealership is telling me that they aren't obligated to fix it. Did you have any luck getting the dealership to fix it?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi gap175,
Honestly, I've been more concerned with fixing another issue.
http://www.kia-forums.com/3g-2011-sportage/130305-pothole-instrument-cluster-lit-up-like.html
I'm not surprised that KIA or any dealership won't fix the spoiler. I think KIA's 60,000 mile warranty is bogus.
I think KIA has unwritten rule for their warranty and the dealerships know what KIA will honor and what they will not.
I do like my Sportage but KIA's service is questionable. KIA advertises their 5 year/60,000 mile warranty like it's a reason to buy their vehicles. When in reality I'm learning it's a bait and switch.

·
Registered
Car: 2016 Sportage 2.0 Petrol (Aussie)...Bike: Suzuki GSF1250S Bandit with sidecar
268 Posts
Mine is developing the same crack on the left side of the spoiler as well. Temperates here are no where as bad as over in Europe or US so can't see it being caused by expansion/contraction. The car has never been in a mechanical car wash as far as I know (however our KIA dealer does have it washed during regular services, but I don't think they take it off site. And it has never has a tree branch catch it in this area.

I might have a word to the dealer next time I'm in, let them know this is starting to apear on number of Sportages across the world, would be good if others mentioned on here if they too are having the same issue.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow, your image looks very similar to mine. I don't go through automatic car washers. My driveway and work parking lot are void of trees. My dealership offers the same service but I'm not sure if it's an automatic car wash. I'm scheduled to go back to the dealership this week. I'll mention the spoiler to them but I know they'll just pooh pooh it. I'm close to 60,000 miles so I'm OK if they just fix the mechanical issues.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
While at the dealership again, I asked a mechanic if he had seen any other Sportages with the rear spoiler separating from the hatch. Before we even looked at my vehicle, the mechanic said that I should be on the look out for a bulletin concerning this issue. He said that Kia had the same problem with the spoilers on the Forte's trunk. The mechanic looked at my spoiler, he said that the spoiler is attached by 3-4 screws and double sided tape. He said it's apparent that the double sided tape was failing but I'd have a difficult time getting Kia to replace the spoiler even under warranty. He then asked his Service Manager look at my vehicle. Immediately, the SM said, oh this was hit, that's why it's cracked and separating from the hatch. I smiled and said, I knew you'd say that.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sportage AWD EX w/ Premium................. 2012 Kia Rio SX w/ Premium
171 Posts
Was in upstate New York this past week when temperatures were below zero. I too have a crack and separation on the drivers side. I know for sure it is due to the low temperatures....printing this thread out and hoping the dealer will fix it for free.

·
Registered
268 Posts
The crack on top hasn't got any longer, but on trailing edge its pretty bad now, you can see how the left side of the spoiler now has a distinct rise. As mentioned previously my KIA has never been through any type of mechanical car wash, never been knocked or had anything snag it up on the spoiler.

To me it's poor construction, but getting KIA to admit it is near on impossible unless there is an overwhelming number of owners suffering the exact same problem.

I suppose it could be worse, could be both sides (wonder why it's not ?)

·
Registered
171 Posts
Very interesting that the 4 or 5 of us with this issue, have it on the drivers side, same spot...coincidence?? Nope....

Maybe more owners will see this thread and look to see if they have the same issue...especially with last week's cold. Maybe Kia will finally admit a flaw and fix it....(not holding my breath).

Replacement cost through Kia is almost $300 not painted, which sounds nuts to me. EBay has a few unpainted around $180. Has anyone replaced it and if so, how difficult was it? I see there are screws sticking out of it but how does the old one come off and the new one screw in?

Thanks

·
Registered
Kia 2015 Sportage Platinum diesel and 2013 Rio 3 door SLS
593 Posts
Spurred me to go and check mine - Nup! Just fine.

Have had a few other minor trim issues that my Kia shop has quickly attended to, but not this one.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Just FYI, dealer says they will fix it for free since there aren't any signs of impact. Really been happy with them....

·
Registered
171 Posts
Just FYI, dealer says they will fix it for free since there aren't any signs of impact. Really been happy with them....
I spoke too soon...supposedly if the spoiler is not painted to match the body color (my spolier is black/car is silver) it was a dealer accessory installed when car arrived from Kia. It only holds a 12 month warranty....lol.

·
Registered
2011 KIA Sportage SX, 2016 Ford Focus RS
466 Posts
I have the same crack, it showed up a couple months ago. At first I assumed since I have a bike rack on the roof that maybe a bike hit it but I am sure I would have remembered that happening.

I live in Phoenix, it's only been in below freezing temperatures a couple times ever, it has only been hand washed by me. I'm quite confident that it is just crappy quality on the part.

·
Registered
1.7 CRDI sand track
540 Posts
I spoke too soon...supposedly if the spoiler is not painted to match the body color (my spolier is black/car is silver) it was a dealer accessory installed when car arrived from Kia. It only holds a 12 month warranty....lol.
What a load of crap. That spoiler only comes in black,i never seen one with body color. Am pretty sure.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts