Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, i have got a 1.0 GS and managed to get some new speakers fitted into the rear doors, altohugh I did have to drill new holes as Kia speakers are a different size to everyone else.. these were working fine but now make a horific noise with Bassey songs. any ideas what might be causing this??

for future reference. the wiring goes as far as the rear door posts. you need to feed extra wiring the rest of the way.....

I think I might just put my JBL 6x9s in..... if I can find someone who can make me a rear shelf..

·
Registered
24 Posts
maybe you need bigger set of speakers? or the existing cone is already kaput?
i used 5" kenwood for my 1.1lx and i also observe the same thing... so i'm planning to get 6" or bigger instead...

'just a question though, where do you plan to put the speaker shelf? i find the car so tight that adding permanent stuffs would mean a lot... or are still gonna use the old fittings in the sides?

good luck!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i was going to put them in place of the rear shelf.. I think the problem with the rear speakers in the doors is that. there is a sticky out bit (spot the technical term) inside the panel on the back doors. this seems to press against the speakers. I did think about cutting this off but as my car is still under warranty, i did not think it a good idea.

·
Registered
24 Posts
i see, so its a matter of getting the right geometry for your shelved speaker then... 'hope you can share pix when you're done, and good luck!
'bout that "sticky out bit", i'll keep that in mind... maybe thats my problem too, thanks!

·
Registered
2005 Kia Picanto
158 Posts
Originally posted by tommy1977@Aug 30 2005, 01:28 AM
Hi, i have got a 1.0 GS and managed to get some new speakers fitted into the rear doors, altohugh I did have to drill new holes as Kia speakers are a different size to everyone else.. these were working fine but now make a horific noise with Bassey songs. any ideas what might be causing this??

for future reference. the wiring goes as far as the rear door posts. you need to feed extra wiring the rest of the way.....

I think I might just put my JBL 6x9s in..... if I can find someone who can make me a rear shelf..

check my garage, there is a picture off the speakers i've installed in my car.
I have also installed a subwoofer, and yesterday I installed a AMP, whish is controling all the speakers.
I have no problem with bassey songs. Because all bass is coming from the sub, and only the sub.

I have also used some stuff, can't find the english word for it, to lower the "plastic" noise of the inner door. that helped a lot on the sound.

so my vote goes to that a 5,1/4" load speaker is fair enough, because it aint playin all the bass.

ViCan2

·
Registered
115 Posts
Originally posted by tommy1977@Aug 30 2005, 01:28 AM
I did have to drill new holes as Kia speakers are a different size to everyone else
Can you tell me exactly what size they are, aswell as the mounting depth? I'm finally going to get around to swapping the ones in my SE in the next few weeks.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I *think* the noise problem you're getting is because of the film type covering inside the door (this stuff), when the speaker cone moves it's causing the film to vibrate which causes a 'flapping' sound.
I think I might rip mine off and replace it with some waterproof sound deadening material.

Edit: on second thoughts, that might not be the problem, because the factory fit component sets in the front of my car go pretty loud and give quite a kick, whereas the rears (JBL GTO-P552's) crap out and you get a flapping kind of sound (which is *not* the speaker, it's the door).
I'm going to take off the front door panels next week and have a look, see if there's anything different in there (like some kind of speaker enclosure maybe?) that makes them work/sound better, then see if I can replicate it in the rear doors for a better sound.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts