Kia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Kia Sorento LX AWD 2.4L GDI, tires: Kumho Solus all season 235/65r17 (OEM), 17x7 factory rims
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys. Adding a sub to the factory hu of my 2014 LX awd. Splicing into the speaker wires under the driver side floor/mud guard by the seat. Cut open the wire harness but there are lots of wires and I'm reading conflicting info from the forums. Is this correct?

Left rear wire + yellow
Left rear wire - black
Right rear wire + green
Right rear wire - orange

there seems to be a lot of wires the same color at quick glance.

These will be going to a Scosche line out converter with rca's from there feeding a Kenwood amp and Pioneer sub in the back.

So do i basically look for solid colored wires with the above listed colors or would the speaker wires be twisted together like some posts have suggested? I see some pairs of wires twisted together but their colors do not match above. What is correct? I don't want to cut the wrong wires.

some pics of the wire harness sliced open... lots of wire to choose from

https://drive.google.com/file/d/173KQSbFXyenu7AFVEyanDmZ6wmkSVIx1/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1eZgcofJtXMMqCdapkadelDUgTklYFDT-/view?usp=sharing

in general the speaker wires will be the smallest ones in the harness? will each speaker have its + and - wire twisted together?

thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
'15 SX, '19 Stinger GT2 AWD
1,103 Posts
I have no way to know for sure but...

Take a look at the harnesses for aftermarket radio installation. The color codes appear to be consistent across different brands..

VIOLET RIGHT REAR +
VIOLET/BLACK RIGHT REAR -
GREEN LEFT REAR +
GREEN/BLACK LEFT REAR -

i.e.
http://www.metraonline.com/files/products/INST70-7304_web.pdf

In fact, after digging a little further, it appears that is now a standard.

·
Registered
'15 Sorento EX
514 Posts
Unfortunately, most OEMs don't use the aftermarket wiring standards (actually, I've never found any OEM who does).

The speaker wire colors for base audio systems are as follows:
left front door speakers (including tweeter): + brown, - white
right front door speakers (including tweeter): + blue/orange, - red
left rear door speaker: + yellow, - black
right rear door speaker: + orange/black, - green/black

The speaker wire colors for systems with the factory amp are as follows:
center dash speaker: + blue, - red
left front door speaker: + brown, - white
left front door tweeter: + red, - blue
right front door speaker: + blue/orange, - red
right front door tweeter: + black, - white
left cargo area speaker: + orange, - green
right cargo area speaker: + green, - pink
DVC subwoofer channel 1: + green, - orange
DVC subwoofer channel 2: + blue, - red

The wires for all speakers except the subwoofer are 20 gauge, the sub uses 16 gauge. Generally, speaker wires are not twisted together except for convenience so it is doubtful that you would find them that way in a harness because it wastes space.

If you have the base audio system, you won't find all the wires behind the left kick panel. The left side rear speaker wires are there but the right side wires are behind the right kick panel (or all of them are behind the head unit).

·
Registered
'15 SX, '19 Stinger GT2 AWD
1,103 Posts
So that's useful, but where did you find that info?

(Semi-rhetorical, because I think you once paid for a short subscription to the official site..)

·
Registered
'15 Sorento EX
514 Posts
Yes, I did sign up for the official site and screen capture as many schematics as I could but then I found I could get complete indexed manuals as PDF files from factory-manuals.com. It's much easier to find things with the indexed file rather than a bunch of screen shots.

·
Registered
2014 Kia Sorento LX AWD 2.4L GDI, tires: Kumho Solus all season 235/65r17 (OEM), 17x7 factory rims
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
hey thanks so much for the quick reply.
unfortunately this wasn't correct. I wasn't able to find a green black wire for left rear (-) and there were like 3 or 4 identical gauge violet wires in the split loom tubing so I didnt try splicing into them.

I have no way to know for sure but...

Take a look at the harnesses for aftermarket radio installation. The color codes appear to be consistent across different brands..

VIOLET RIGHT REAR +
VIOLET/BLACK RIGHT REAR -
GREEN LEFT REAR +
GREEN/BLACK LEFT REAR -

i.e.
http://www.metraonline.com/files/products/INST70-7304_web.pdf

In fact, after digging a little further, it appears that is now a standard.

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
thanks very much. This was more accurate to what I was seeing in the tubing.
Sunday night before you posted this I took a leap of faith and decided i would have to do trial and error to find these wires. I took a leap of faith and snipped the yellow and black that just happened to be twisted together. I had the radio on with the fader all the way to the rears. after snipping I def heard a drop in volume and balanced left to right. Sure enough, the left rear was dead, meaning I cut the correct wire! I then spliced into it. Note: anyone doing this, bring extra wire! The wires in the loom tubing are VERY tight with little to no slack. so my splice job looks very ghetto right now. This is all temporary as I want to later replace the aftermarket radio with a touchscreen so I will use proper rca's for the line outs to the amp. In the meantime, slicing into the speaker wires was the quickest route to getting a sub finally into the car.

Unfortunately, most OEMs don't use the aftermarket wiring standards (actually, I've never found any OEM who does).
The speaker wire colors for base audio systems are as follows:
left front door speakers (including tweeter): + brown, - white
right front door speakers (including tweeter): + blue/orange, - red

I think I lucked out as the yellow and black weretwisted together and I saw several other pairs that were twisted together. Think I also saw orange/black twisted with blue/white (see attached).

The wires for all speakers except the subwoofer are 20 gauge, the sub uses 16 gauge. Generally, speaker wires are not twisted together except for convenience so it is doubtful that you would find them that way in a harness because it wastes space.

If you have the base audio system, you won't find all the wires behind the left kick panel. The left side rear speaker wires are there but the right side wires are behind the right kick panel (or all of them are behind the head unit).
You might be right but I did notice several other twisted pairs in the loom tubing, but at the time I didn't have the concrete information for the other channel. Since I was only sending a signal to the sub and I assume bass frequencies are the same in a left and right stereo signal, I just ran the right side splice to my sosche line out converter in hopes it would work with one channel. Then I used an RCA "Y" adapter to take the single left channel coming out of the line converter to feed both L and R inputs on the amp. Hooked everything else up and SUCCESS, it worked! I was so cheesed to finally hear some strong low bass in the car again. Its not pretty right now but its bumping. I'll update with some more photos tomorrow if I can.

Again thanks for the info! this forum is very helpful.

Attachments

·
Registered
Sorento 2015 LX 2.4 AWD, Suzuki 2011 SX4 AWD, ( 2000 KIA Sportage, junked)
546 Posts
Ceed is an unknown in NOrthAMerica, and surely not related to a Sorento. THe front is quite like what is known here as a Forte, but the 4door +hatch FOrte here is not totally similar, IMO..... Fill up your profile with all details about car.

EDIT: I see there is a dedicated CEED forum

1 - 9 of 9 Posts