Kia Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Kia Rio Hatch 2003 1.5L
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Does anyone have the procedure for rear main /crankshaft oil seal replacement? This is for a 2003 Kia Rio hatch with the 1.5L and auto transmission. I've replaced rear main seals in other cars before, so I could just start pulling things apart and hope for the best, but that's rarely a good way to tackle these things... ;)

I do have several PDF versions of the workshop manual, but none of them describe this procedure. The best I've been able to find is a 2001 Transmission Removal & Installation page, but it has no diagrams, it's just 7 bullet points of text.

Concerningly I've discovered that apparently I need an SST 0K201 270 014 tool to prevent misalignment of the side gear. I have no idea if I can find one without further information.

I'm also concerned that there might be a specific crankshaft oil seal tool for correctly inserting and aligning the seal - I've seen seals that had leaks because they weren't aligned perfectly, and I of course want to avoid such issues!

Thanks for your help,

Trevor

·
Registered
2004 kia rio sedan
70 Posts
I swapped my 1.5 manual into a my current 2004 body with an automatic a bunch of years ago. Don't recall using special tools to replace the rear main that was leaking. If I recall, it's a seal that's similar to a dust seal for the rear wheel bearings - and a gasket that goes across the top. Bit of anaerobic sealant and all good. I imagine the hatch is the same front clip as the sedan, remove the hood and engine comes out easily through the top. Mind you, I had access to a forklift which made life easy, couple of chains, raise and lower the engine as needed. Changed all the seals and gaskets at that time to make life easy. My engine is over 400,000 kms now and still going strong, but the rear main is leaking again - mind you, I've put 200K on it since then.

If you've done it on other cars, this one should be a breeze. Rio's are pretty easy.

·
Registered
2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo / 2001 Kia Rio
211 Posts
I don’t remember there being any side gear in there. Unless you mean the torque converter? I swapped a 1.6 into my 01 it had an auto trans attached. It was huge in comparison to the manual. And there are two cooler lines that will need to be removed as well.

One tip, make sure the crankshaft seal is flush with the housing - not shallow or deep. Flush.

·
Registered
Kia Rio Hatch 2003 1.5L
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I spoke to a service mechanic at a dealership today, he assured me they never, ever use that tool when removing transmissions, and they've done thousands of them. Considering it's going to sit on a transmission jack and be moved about three feet, I doubt there will be enough movement to knock anything out of alignment. But it was good to hear that from someone who's done this a lot.

Yeah I'll use the existing seal to help me tap the new one in - I don't want to have to do this more than once! I have a Japanese MT Legnum VR4 (twin-turbo V6 AWD) that I've replaced the clutch and rear main in, that was a pretty massive effort so I'm hoping this will be easier (there's no rear driveshaft and a bucket load more room in the engine bay for a start, which has got to help).

I don't have an engine crane - what should I use to hold the engine weight with the mounting member removed? I could stick a jack under it I suppose, but room might get tight with the transmission jack under there also... Kia recommend a cross brace but I'm not buying one of those just for this job.

·
Registered
Kia Rio Hatch 2003 1.5L
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got an Aeroflow-AF98-2065 engine support bar from ebay for AUD$93 (I can't post links with my low post count). Really only about $20 more than a length of 4x4 and a chain from a hardware store. Hoping to get the job done next week.

Thanks again for your help :)

·
Registered
2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo / 2001 Kia Rio
211 Posts
actually i should say i took the 03 1.6 and auto trans out, put my manual trans on the 1.6 motor, and put it in my 01...

·
Registered
10 Posts
How did it turn out? I have a 2002 Kia Rio with the 1.5 L and manual transmission. I am thinking of replacing the rear main seal in it because it leaks like a sieve. I unfortunately don’t have any manuals to follow, if someone has a manual, that would be great to see.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts