Kia Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

So my problems started yesterday afternoon. I went to the doctors and walked in and i turned my alarm on and went in. when i came out and noticed my rear lights were on, all three brake lights.

So i started googleing and found out that it could be a bad brake light switch or burnt out bulb. Now i replaced my brake lights and side marker lights cause they were burnt out. I also replaced the brake light switch and still the lights wont turn off. So i have to undo my battery. Also the only other thing i noticed is that when the car is off and i switch my lights to on the headlights dont turn on but the orange parking lights do.

I dont know what else to do im getting a headache from thinking and searching to find out whats wrong.

·
Registered
Sportage 2.0 CRDI XS (138)
80 Posts
The brake light switch is the problem, or a short in the wiring from the brake light switch.

This is responsible for all the things you describe and was the subject or a re-call on a lot of Sportages

Quote from kia: -

https://www.kiatechinfo.com/Technic...sp?title_num=333&toc_type=GROUP&menu_type=1_5

GROUP MODEL
Safety Recall
Campaign
Sportage, Rondo,
Sorento, Sedona,
Amanti
NUMBER DATE
SC 077 June 2009
SAFETY RECALL CAMPAIGN TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN
STOP LAMP SWITCH REPLACEMENT
This bulletin provides information relating to replacement of the stop lamp switch on some
2006 – 2007 Sportage (KM), 2007 Rondo (UN), 2006 – 2007 Sorento (BL), 2007 Amanti (GH)
and 2006 – 2007 Sedona (VQ) vehicles within the production date ranges shown below:
The stop lamp switch may have been damaged during the assembly process. As a result, the
stop lamp switch may malfunction causing one or more of the following conditions to exist:

• The brake lights may not illuminate when the brake pedal is depressed.
• The brake lights may remain illuminated when the brake pedal is released.
• On some occasions, when the vehicle is started, the shifter cannot be moved from the
Park (P) position.
• If the vehicle is equipped with Electronic Stability Control (ESC), the ESC light may
illuminate indicating “ESC OFF.”
• If the vehicle is equipped with Cruise Control, depressing the brake may not deactivate
the Cruise Control System

Hope that helps!!

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 12 Sedona LX
1,413 Posts
The first thing I would check is the brake switch adjustment. Maybe the nut loosened on it and the pedal is not contacting it to turn the lamps off. This will also cause the cruise not to work.

The headlamps will not turn on unless the key is in the on position, like the vehicle is running. If the key is off, only the park lamps will work.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts