Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings!

I'm hoping that I have found the right place where someone here can offer some guidance. I searched through the topics but haven't been able to find an answer.

I recently obtained a 2000 Kia Spectra Hatchback and am in the process of putting license plates on.

Of all my years, I have never been so confused with something as simple as putting plates on a vehicle.

I went to attach the rear plates and discovered there was nothing to fasten the plates to. So I simply thought that the previous owner removed their plates with the whole bracket and all. All that I see is two large odd shaped holes. No bracket/frame/clips/fasteners etc.

So I went to a dealer and got some info as to what was needed to get the rear plates on the car. Below is a description of what was sold to me, along with a photo that I have attached to this post:

Bracket, Part No. 0K24050170
Two Bolts, Part No. K997200612B
Two Speed Nuts, Part No. K995783000

I'm going crazy and feel stupid, cause for the life of me I can't figure out how these parts attach to the vehicle, and how the plate attaches to this bracket. I've even looked at the diagram from a Kia parts site, but the diagram and parts really don't make much sense to me.

Can anyone here help out or offer some advice? Thanks a million!

DW

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,925 Posts
Well...the general area where the plates are moounted would be lit by bulbs at night...
If the car has been repaired (accident) the plastic replacement bumper covers do not have holes in them, only small "dimples" where the plate screws would be screwed into.
Look for them centered on the bumper cover. The plate screws are driven directly into the plastic at the dimples.
Dave

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses so far. I appreciate the feedback, yet I'm still not certain how an insert or nylon plug would work. It does look like there was something fitted in previously, from marks that were left in the area. The rear bumper is the original on the car. If inserts are all that was needed, what is the bracket for then??

I took a photo of bumper and attached it to this post. Hopefully this will give a better idea of what I'm looking at.

DW

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,925 Posts
First find the proper measurement for the license plate holes and use the bolts supplied to afix the plate to the bracket. you will then have 3 holes left... of the three left find the 2 holes that match the holes on the bumper (length wise).Now that you have the holes that match the bumper holes. Remove the bolts (and plate) from the bracket. I believe that there are probably two more parts not supplied by the dealership. I would think 2 plastic "rivets" that will go through the metal bracket then through the bumper cover and then through the one time "speed nuts". (they look more like one time push on fasteners). You can then mount (and remount) the plate(s) to the bracket

The fasteners are pushed on the plastic rivets from behind the bumper cover to hold the metal bracket that the plate then bolts on to...

The bracket may mount behind the bumper cover as the holes in the cover are oblong and may support both the missing plastic rivets AND the plate bolts. There may be signs of wear (or rust on the the bumper cover where the bracket "was" mounted)
on the back.

It just looks "logical" looking at all the parts...
Dave

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your input Dave. I can see what your describing. Just seems like a really odd way to mount a plate. The dealership seems to go by the book, and of course these are the parts they gave me. I informed them that I wanted everything necessary to mount the plate. Guess they have no clue! On top of it, the two bolts that I purchased are machined bad, making them useless. I'm on the hunt to find rivets that will work.

DW

1 - 6 of 6 Posts