Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage SX
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my original license bolts are rust seized so I have to drill it out. Need to change my sticker but there's a cover on the plate. I am trying to find replacement bolts on Amazon.ca (Canadian) but can't find them.

Does anyone know the specs or a part source online to purchase these 2 bolts to hold up the rear plate?

·
Registered
2020 kia sportage lx awd
43 Posts
If u need to drill them out u may need bigger bolts. Jus go to home hardware and find some bolts. Dont need nothing fancy or grab some off a wrecker

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage
1,108 Posts
If there is a cover on the plate, then the bolts you are looking to replace are not from Kia. Kia's bolts are coated and go into plastic and will not rust. You can go to a hardware store to get some replacement bolts. Make sure they are stainless steel or plastic so they do not rust. I would replace the whole license plate holder with a new one that will come with new hardware.

·
Registered
2018 Sportage EX
198 Posts
Here we have laws about the plate covers. They are not allowed to obscure the viewing of the plate or if a border style to not block the state of origin. So I don't even bother with a cover.

To keep it from rattling from closing the hatch and road vibration I put the thick felt carpet sliders circles on the back of the plate.

Match the threads to a stainless steel bolt and you will be fine.

·
Registered
2018 Sportage EX
198 Posts
'I put the thick felt carpet sliders circles on the back of the plate.'
LOL! I do too!
Rattling license plates annoy me.

Now I realize "different strokes for different folks" and all that, but one thing that I'll never buy is a used car that has had a bass speaker system in it. I cringe every time one drives by and every nut, bolt and panel on the car is vibrating. The car is making more noise than the speakers, and the biggest offender is the license plate on the trunk lid.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage
1,108 Posts
Rattling license plates annoy me.

Now I realize "different strokes for different folks" and all that, but one thing that I'll never buy is a used car that has had a bass speaker system in it. I cringe every time one drives by and every nut, bolt and panel on the car is vibrating. The car is making more noise than the speakers, and the biggest offender is the license plate on the trunk lid.
There are different types of subwoofers in cars. The ones that come with OEM systems are fairly weak and just add enough boom to give you a reasonable low bass level. When I've modified systems, I've only put compact powered subs in because of the reason you identified. Those who place 1000+ watt subs in their trunks will cause vibration issues, but competition vehicles are highly insulated to muffle that sound. In fact, I've had more vibration issues with the mid-bass speakers placed in the front door panels of a lot of car as doors have a lot of parts that can vibrate. I hate anything in a car that rattles, especially when it is difficult to get to like ones in the dash.

·
Registered
2018 Sportage EX
198 Posts
The cars that drive around here are just after as much boom as they can get. Sound quality doesn't seem to apply. The speaker sets might be worth more than the cars.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts