Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 Kia Sportage with a light on that says my rear hatch is open, but I have made sure it is completely closed. I can't get the light to go off and this problem is draining my battery. I took the panel off of the rear hatch and looked at the latch. It looks fine. The door opens and closes just fine. I can't find a fuse to remove to get this to stop. I tried disconnecting the wire running from the lock to the rest of my rear wires and that didn't do anything either. Does anyone have any ideas of how I can resolve this problem? I'm having to disconnect my battery cable to keep my battery from going dead. Thanks

·
Registered
2000 Sportage A/T 4X4
70 Posts
It will be better to remove the latch, you'll see a switch, maybe it's stuck with debris, clean or change it if necessary. You can also remove the lamp, but it will be difficult to see at night in the compartment area.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do I have to take the entire handle and latch mechanism off? I took the back panel off of the door and I sprayed some carb cleaner all over the mechanism inside of the latch. I removed the screws on the side of the door and got spray in all of the areas and cleaned off as much as I could without completely taking it out. When you say remove the lamp are you meaning the lamp for the dashboard or something else? Thanks

·
Registered
2000 Sportage EX 4x4 A/T, 2008 Harley Davidson Nightrain
184 Posts
I beleve he is talking about the door switch (sounds like it's faulty). It should be a push button syle switch with a rubber boot on it that controls the light (just like on all your other doors). Otherwise you can remove the cargo area light bulb until you track the problem down.

·
Registered
20 Posts
1st gen sportage has a recall issue with the rear hatch; same as mine. But it's a no big deal for me, i just used to it. just ignore.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Can you take it to a Kia dealership where they have trained technicians to look at your issue?

I always gravitate to calling or visiting the dealership as I learned it the hard way. I used to own a used Honda Civic and when troubles started, hubby took it to a self-employed technician and it went downhill from there (with so many visits to the same technician).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts