Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Kia 2015 Sportage Platinum diesel and 2013 Rio 3 door SLS
595 Posts
Left hand side only is doing exactly the same. Showed it to the service manager and replacement has been ordered for fitting under warranty. In the meantime I am keeping a close eye on the other side.
They claim they haven't seen it before, but interesting to note that it IS happening in other countries as well - not just mine!

·
Registered
2011 Sportage 2.0 FWD Auto
12 Posts
Both sides on mine started to peel about a month ago. When it was in for its 45000km service, I asked about this and the service manager said it was just the protective factory coating that was coming off due to weather exposure and that it happened on almost all Sportages sold in the South African climate. He said it was not necessary to replace as they did not see it as a fault.

Needless to say I was not happy to hear this. It makes it look as if I don't look after my vehicle! <_<

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,539 Posts
usually most protection plastic covers should be removed when they do a PDI, but some of the coverings are so clear, it looks like there is nothing there till weather starts to have an effect on it.
If you can just peel it off then do so and forget it, it should never have anything like that as part of the normal light cover, they are one solid injected lens molding so nothing should every peel off in a thin layer unless its just there for shipping protection.

You see the same thing on many plastic components, its not a defect, its just protection, just peel it off.

·
Registered
595 Posts
I tend to disagree - I think it is a UV protective coating, similar to what is on the polycarbonate headlight lenses that tends to yellow over time on many cars today. With this coating peeling off, it is only a matter of a very short time and the lens will become very dull and the indicator/reflective quality will lessen.
It shouldn't peel off like it does. As said, I have only experienced it on the left side so far, and there is a definite difference in the lenses when looking at them from the rear.

·
Registered
2011 sportage CRDI
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When the coating comes off it leaves the underneath surface dull, this is definately a fault and will have to be replaced.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Left hand indicator lens (complete assembly!) changed under warranty during service yesterday with no questions asked.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts