Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
09 Kia sportage. 13 Mazda CX9, 05 Mazda6, 97 Mazda 626, 92 Probe GT Turbo.
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, like two months ago my kia started humming from the rear end. I originally thought it was a wheel bearing. But after tearing down both sides, i realized the wheel bearings and hubs were 100% fine. So i started tearing apart the rear end.

Well my issue was a carrier bearing in the rear end right where the main drive shaft goes into the rear end. Here's where my issue really began.

Kia doesnt offer a replacement bearing, or even seal for this housing. They dont even have a record of there being a bearing or seal in there. They only go as far as breaking down the part to the entire housing itself! In other words if you little rubber seal goes bad, You have to order the ENTIRE $758.87 housing!!!

I spent a few days searching this forum, and every other Kia, and hyundai tuscan/santa fe forum trying to find some cross reference listing or something someone in my position had ran into. Which i then realized i was on my own here.

Well the bearing itself ended up being a common 6008Z bearing. These can be purchased really anywhere that sells bearings. I got mine for like $15 shipped.

Once i got that all pressed in, i figured the seal was gonna be an easy one. WRONG!

The seal itself took me like 2 weeks to figure out. I was able to cross reference the part # on the seal back to the original maker of the entire assembly (Borg Warner). And i kept bringing up a transfer case seal used on the Cadillac Escalade with the same part # listed on Borg Warner documents. Which got my brain working.

The Escalade had a off the shelf replacement seal at my local basic auto parts store. So i decided id order it, and see what showed up. Well guess what? Winner Winner chicken dinner!

The seal for that housing is offered from National and is part # 710682

I basically just wanted to make this thread so there's a reference for this stuff in case someone else runs into this issue. That way they dont have to spend a few weeks researching trying to figure this out, Or so they dont get suckered by Kia and believe that the only way to fix this is to spend the $758 they say it takes to fix this just for the part. Id hate to know how much Kia would charge for Labor on top of this also!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Sorry for dragging up an old thread but I have a question. I have a howling coming from the rear of our 2007 Sportage. The dealer said the 4 wheel drive coupler has a bad bearing and quoted me $1400 for the part.

Is this the same part you are referring to, XXX? Also, I have been quoted from a local salvage yard $450 for a complete rear differential. Would that include the coupler? Thanks very much everyone for the time!

Respectfully,

George D.

·
Registered
09 Kia sportage. 13 Mazda CX9, 05 Mazda6, 97 Mazda 626, 92 Probe GT Turbo.
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yup. They want an insane amount of money, for what is a very small part. Just order the bearing # i posted above, along with the seal i posted, and you can rebuild everything on your existing unit, and spend a total of like $20.

·
Registered
2009 kia sportage v6 4wd
1 Posts
This may be an old thread, but I want to make the information easier for Kia Sportage drivers to find.

Same system is used on the Hyundai Santa Fe. This is the only place I could find info on how to fix this myself. Pages 4 and 5 are a goldmine of useful info. I posted my fix over there. Its working great now. No more jerking while driving down the road. The seal goes bad and leaks out the small amount of fluid in the 4wd coupler. Once this fluid is gone, the clutch plates inside can no longer move past each other smoothly (even when 4wd is not engaged).

So you need to have the seals and fluid replaced.
In total, there are 2 bearings, and 2 seals that need to be checked and/or replaced. See the link above for more details. Good luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts