Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I bought a brand new 2017 Sorento for my niece. She has taken it to the dealership every three months for Kia service and even got a “complete tune up” three months ago. She had been hearing a noise when turning and notified the dealership 9 months ago. They checked and said there was no problem. She told them again at the next at the next appointment. Still nothing. On the third appointment the told her about the tune up. Two weeks later the car makes new scary sounds and she takes it back. They call her and want $3,500.00 US dollars for a complete replacement with gear(s). Finding this outrageous I call and the service guy tells me that Kia doesn’t have a recommended maintenance schedule for differential fluid changes and that a tech would have to guess that that was why the problem was in order to fix it. He also said the cost wouldn’t be much different. I smell a rat. Am I right or is he?

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
11,308 Posts
Ok I bought a brand new 2017 Sorento for my niece. She has taken it to the dealership every three months for Kia service and even got a “complete tune up” three months ago. She had been hearing a noise when turning and notified the dealership 9 months ago. They checked and said there was no problem. She told them again at the next at the next appointment. Still nothing. On the third appointment the told her about the tune up. Two weeks later the car makes new scary sounds and she takes it back. They call her and want $3,500.00 US dollars for a complete replacement with gear(s). Finding this outrageous I call and the service guy tells me that Kia doesn’t have a recommended maintenance schedule for differential fluid changes and that a tech would have to guess that that was why the problem was in order to fix it. He also said the cost wouldn’t be much different. I smell a rat. Am I right or is he?
Using the below link, please add location and vehicle (year & model) to your User Account/Profile

eg.
USA
2019 Sportage 2.7L V6 SX turbo AWD

UPDATE: Vehicle Information

Forum Rules

Tip: after updating your info, hit “like” on this post, and it will serve as a prompt to remove it.

·
Registered
Sorento LX V6 2018
631 Posts
What's the warranty status on this vehicle? Miles on odometer? Assume this is an AWD since it has a rear diff or are they making this up? To me, differential is part of the drivetrain but would at least be covered under the 5/60 portion of the warranty so why isn't it? Are they saying it wasn't serviced properly? If so, ask to see where Kia requires the fluid be changed. Sounds like you need to either find another dealership or escalate this up to Kia corporate.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
1,586 Posts
Your brand new 2017 came with a 10 year 100K mile drivetrain warranty which should definitely cover a rear differential issue. We could use any more details that you can provide.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento EX V6 AWD FE (w/ EX Premium Package) & 2020 Soul EX (w/ EX Designer Collection Package)
22 Posts
Here is the Power Train Limited Warranty coverage section of 2020 Sorento Warranty and Consumer Information Manual (I couldn't find the 2017 pdf file).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts