Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Kia Rio
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone:

I just bought a 2001 Rio and wanted to install a different set of speakers in the rear deck. I don't have an owner's manual (and I don't think it would help anyway), and I was wondering what size the speakers are in the rear deck. They look like six inch speakers from the bottom, but I'm not sure what kind of lip they have on them. Will 6.5" inch fit? Are the front speakers the same size?

It looks like I'll have to take out the whole rear deck and, perhaps, the seats as well to get to them. I was hoping to have the speakers ready before I did this. Any help would be appreciated. :p

·
Registered
2001 Kia Rio
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was standing on my head, but they looked round to me. :unsure:

I'll have to look again this weekend.

·
Registered
2001 Kia Rio
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Awesome! That's a pretty nice site. Thanks, 1fastkia. Unfortunately it shows some 6 1/2 inch speakers along with a bunch of 5 1/4 speakers. I wonder what's up with that? :unsure:

I think I'm still gonna have to pull out that rear deck and look.

·
Registered
2001 Kia Rio
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ahhh, I just noticed where it said they offer different sizes with adapter plates. The smaller ones work best if you have limited space. I don't think the 6 1/2 would be any problem in the rear deck. Now the front door speakers might need 5 1/4, but I'm not ready for them yet.

Now all I have to do is figure out what brand to order. :huh:

·
Registered
2001 Kia Rio
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay, this is not as easy as it would seem. I ordered a pair of Kicker 6 1/2" speakers from Crutchfield. THEY DO NOT FIT! They sent me some adapter plates that are supposed to work, but they don't. I've installed enough audio equipment in cars that I know what I'm doing. These speakers are too small for the speaker holes and too big to install in the adapter plates. When installed in the adapter plates, the speakers fit over the three holes that are supposed to screw into the rear deck. After trying everything with no results, I just sent them back. Fortunately Crutchfield has a really nice return policy.

I'd imagine that you could probably get the 5 1/4" speakers to fit in the rear deck with the adapter plates, but why would you want to go with such tiny speakers when the deck will take much larger ones?

Some of the other sites I visited said that 7" speakers would fit. Maybe they will; maybe they won't. Either way, I decided to keeep the factory speakers for now. I've installed some 10" subs with an amp in the trunk and have bought a pair of tweaters that I'll install when I get the chance.

So, for those of you who want to install speakers, you might take note that it might be a little difficult. Also, you will have to remove the back seat and the entire rear deck just to get to them.

Oh, I should probably note that the Crutchfield website said that these speakers were a perfect match for my car. I passed up a lot of speakers that I would rather have had just to buy these for that very reason.

·
Registered
2001 Kia Rio
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It appears that the mounting holes are the problem rather than the size of the speaker. If you get a speaker that has enough clearance at the bottom and fits in the hole, the best bet sounds like it would be to drill your own holes. Then you have to worry about clearance from the top because the rear deck cover is a little odd (can't really think of the proper words to describe it).

If I recall, speakers generally have four mounting holes just inside the rim. These speakers have three holes that are on "ears" outside of the rim. That makes them a little "non-standard." It looks like it would take a 7" speaker with 2.5" or less mounting depth.

If you could find a speaker like the stock ones then, of course, it would be no problem. Unfortunately they are peculiar enough that I'm not sure anyone makes a "perfect fit."

I'll get along fine without them...for now.

·
Premium Member
2015 Buick Verano "Leather Group", 2015 Kia Optima Hybrid
6,115 Posts
Originally posted by Tracy@Feb 24 2005, 10:48 PM
It appears that the mounting holes are the problem rather than the size of the speaker.  If you get a speaker that has enough clearance at the bottom and fits in the hole, the best bet sounds like it would be to drill your own holes.  Then you have to worry about clearance from the top because the rear deck cover is a little odd (can't really think of the proper words to describe it).

If I recall, speakers generally have four mounting holes just inside the rim.  These speakers have three holes that are on "ears" outside of the rim.  That makes them a little "non-standard."  It looks like it would take a 7" speaker with 2.5" or less mounting depth.

If you could find a speaker like the stock ones then, of course, it would be no problem.  Unfortunately they are peculiar enough that I'm not sure anyone makes a "perfect fit."

I'll get along fine without them...for now.
drill the holes lol... id help but im a bit far away! lol

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.