Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Mazda RX-8, Saab 9-5, 2012 Sorento SX
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As owners of 7 seat Sorentos know, KIA does not offer an all-weather rear cargo mat that fits the area behind the second row of seats. The most common available options are from Husky Mats and WeatherTech. I've now tried both and thought others might find the comparison useful.

() Price and Looks: The Husky liner is significantly less expensive than the WeatherTech but just how much less expensive may depend on the source. For example, we purchased a black Husky liner from Amazon for $66. A gray version from the same source is about $80. The WeatherTech mat in gray ranges from about $100 to $130 from several sources. We paid $108 from Amazon. (The prices change frequently so ymmv.)

The WeatherTech comes in beige and black, as well. I'm not sure if the Husky mat comes in beige. For what it's worth, the black Husky mat looks (imo) considerably "cheaper" in black than the WeatherTech in gray. Additionally, the gray looks (imo) better in the Sorento with a dark interior than the black.

() Fit: Each brand fits well. The Husky mat has a taller rear edge on the corner that covers the lower cargo hook in the corner of the back. A cutout is marked if you choose to remove that piece.

() Material/Quality: The WeatherTech mat is both thicker and more pliable than the Husky Mat. The Husky Mat is quite stiff and as a result of somewhat taller side edges is much more difficult to "roll up" and stow behind the third row of seats when they're in use.

The WeatherTech mat has a "rubberish" finish compared to the "plastic-y" feel of the Husky mat. This suggests that the Husky might be better for sliding cargo into/out of the back but slightly more likely to slide unless secured. If your "cargo" is mainly a large dog (as ours is), you may find the WeatherTech provides a more comfortable surface with more traction.

() Functionality: As noted, the Husky mat has somewhat higher curled edges than the WeatherTech. So if containing liquids is a major priority the Husky may be marginally better. On the other hand, the WeatherTech mat surface is a set of 2"x2" raised blocks while the Husky is a set of raised ridges that may encourage "sloshing." All in all, I think each does the job of containing liquid and mud well. As noted, though, our main use is for a large dog in the cargo area and the WeatherTech wins on that score.

() Overall: Decided to keep the more expensive WeatherTech mat but it was a tough call. The mat looks so much better (in gray) than the Husky (in black) that it was worth the extra $40 or so. In addition, as noted, the more pliable material in the WeatherTech makes it much easier to roll up and stow when the third row is being used.

P.S. I realize this topic has been raised in other threads. Apologies for starting a new one but I thought the direct brand to brand comparison would be useful for those trying to decide between the alternatives.

·
Registered
2013 Sorento LX V6, '03 GSX-R600, '00 Nissan Maxima SE
150 Posts
I was wondering about the quality vs the two. I already bought the Husky for the cargo liner and am pretty satisfied with it. I probably would have bought the Weathertech had I known it was more "rubbery" than the Husky, but I figured the materials were pretty similar. Stuff does slide around a little, but like I said I'm pretty satisfied. I will, though, get the Weathertech for the floor liners as I don't want slick floor boards. I like the all weather oem from Kia, but I want the coverage of the Weathertech. I use that little foot rest to the left a lot and am constantly vacuuming that area,(along with the entire floor, black carpet shows EVERYTHING) so I say cover it up and dump out the dirt as needed.

·
Registered
Mazda RX-8, Saab 9-5, 2012 Sorento SX
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Can't speak to the "feel" of WeatherTech floor mats though there's another thread dealing specifically with the floor mats, I believe. And I suspect that the WeatherTech floor mats and cargo mat are the same material. I do know that the Husky floor mats are the same material as the cargo mats. I returned them (and went with the oem Sorento rubber mats) both because of the slickness on the top surface and the lethal little spikes on the bottom of the floor mats.

P.S. It appears that the OEM Kia Superstore website sells the WeatherTech cargo mat (unbranded) for a pretty good price ($96.99). As noted, the photos don't show a WeatherTech logo but the mat looks identical to the WeatherTech mat I received from Amazon.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts