Kia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Ceed '3' 1.6 CRDI 114bhp 2012reg
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a step by step account of wiring up one of these to the reversing light wiring circuit. Is there a wire left in the internal harness next to the number plate light to accomodate it or do I need to run the wire up the boot lid, across and then down the bodywork somehow?

Car Rear View Reverse Parking Camera for KIA CEED | eBay

I intend to wire it up to a wifi transmitter/receiver and a monitor connected to cig socket in front, which saves running wires to front of car. Not sure whether to get a mirror with integrated lcd display which slips over internal mirror or maybe a seperate monitor on a stand.

·
Registered
Kia Cee'd SW 1.4 ISG
40 Posts
I installed a camera on my Cee'd SW.
There is no extra wire in the harness in the hatch so I had to run the power wire all up to the roof (via the rubber hose) and then down to the rear light.

You will have to remove some of the inner body parts on the side. Don't try to take off the roof lining. Just push the wire in between.
You can remove the rear light quit easy (on an SW). Release 3 nuts and the connector and the whole unit comes out of the body.
Use a multimeter to check which wire is for the reverse light.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As you can see, the Kia camera I linked to has a number plate light integrated in it. Well, rather than trace wires all the way back to the reversing lights, then maybe take a feed from the number plate light. Only a few minutes job to wire up. OK, so you would have to switch on the sidelights to see the camera working which is not a big deal. The wifi transmitter could also be shoved inside the camera hole with an appropriate line fuse. The wifi display at the front of the car would be plugged into the cig lighter socket only to come on when the ignition is on so it could be left switched on all the time presumably showing a blank screen until sidelights are activated. As the car is new, I don't want to rip about too much but thought this idea might be a quick cheap option and I could easily dismantle when I came to sell it. Of course the camera would be on all the time when sidelights are on but not necessarily showing until monitor is switched on. Just a crazy thought of mine and a very quick, easy installation maybe.

·
Registered
Kia Cee'd SW 1.4 ISG
40 Posts
It is a good idea because the powerconsumption of a wifi camera is very low.

I use a wifi camera on my caravan. It is powered via the sidelights of the caravan.
The receiver is connected to the AUX input on my Kenwood head-unit and powered by a USB car charger.
I can switch the monitor from the car-camera to the WiFi camera.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is a good idea because the powerconsumption of a wifi camera is very low.

I use a wifi camera on my caravan. It is powered via the sidelights of the caravan.
The receiver is connected to the AUX input on my Kenwood head-unit and powered by a USB car charger.
I can switch the monitor from the car-camera to the WiFi camera.
Yes, I see the sidelight bulbs are rated at only 5watts. Well, some Volvo cars have sidelights on all the time..:rolleyes:

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ceed is not a big car. Why do you need a reversing camera?

;)
Need to reverse as far back as possible to the house. However, there is a long metal garden seat chained against the wall. I can't see this seat when reversing as it is below the rear window. I have the problem that my reversing sensors don't always pick up the narrow profile of the horizontal seat and I am nearly at the wall when the continuous warning bleep sounds. Sods law dictates that sooner or later I will get a nice horizontal crease across my rear end.:huh:
The Ceed is larger than a Hyundai i20 Style for example which comes with rear colour camera as standard. Wonder why Hyundai feel the need to fit reversing cameras on smaller cars as standard kit?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I don’t know if this thread is still alive but I need some help. I have a 2011 Ceed SW and I ordered a new head unit with satnav etc. I also ordered a wireless reversing camera as I thought if I’m installing a new radio I might as well get a reversing camera as well. My problem is I cannot see how to remove the trim on the tailgate and the pillars in the boot. Any help you guys can give me would be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance Zoobs

·
Registered
Pro Ceed 2 1.6 CRDi (113)
182 Posts
I drive a 44t artic for a living and I can judge how far ive got behind my trailer better than I can in my pro ceed and that is 50+ ft furthur behind lol, a camera is a great idea, parking sensors would probably be more practical though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts