Kia Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow top 4X4 owners

I'm fitting a tow bar this weekend and want to know if removal of the rear bumper is straight forward. are there any of those annoying little plastic catches that snap as soon as you look at them? Are there any screws/bolts that are not immediately obvious?

Cheers

·
Registered
2005 Sorento ex v6 automatic
537 Posts
tow bar....is that UK for trailer hitch?
i installed a "hidden Hitch" brand w/2 inch reciever here in th US and it did not require the removel of the bumper. i don't think any other of my brand choices required the bumper removal either
i use it to tow our pop/up camper (carivan)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes here in England a tow bar is a tow hitch. The tow bar i've got is a Brink removal one which does require removal of the bumper.

·
Registered
2005 Sorento ex v6 automatic
537 Posts
i just looked at "brink" tow bars on line and installation inst.
gee! nothing like taking a simple concept and making it a big project!
:blink: :crying: :eek:

·
Registered
car
4,208 Posts
Not quite sure how easy it is to remove the rear bumper. When I put my hitch on all I had to do was drop the spare tire. Just drop the spare tire so you have plenty of room to work in and take a look around.

·
Registered
116 Posts
you shoudlnt have to take off teh bumber..why would you need too? most brand sattach to teh chasis under the car. i bought one. took 60min to install.cause it got dark out. lol. but all i ahd to do was lower the tire.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't need advice as to whether the bumper has to come off or not. The Brink detatchable tow bar does require removal of the bumper.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I had the brink fitted -- by the garage when I brought my sorento. I think. they charged me about 60 quid for fitting it- well worth it - as if you do it yourself think about loosing a day.

Be very careful when using the Brink hitch- it is not all that apparant that the hitch is in place and held correctly. Have been using it for some time and the last time
thought it was in place - then did about 10 miles -( thank god without towing anything) - and the hitch had come off. Went back 2 days later over the same route and saw it lying on the side of the road. It was a bit bruised but perfectly OK.

Sorento - would not drive anything else!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. up yours BMW

Jonathan

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I can't beleive they only charged £60, granted I am not as fast as a garage but it took me a day and a half. did they do a good job of the bumper cut? I must have spent over an hour doing that just to get a neat job.

·
Registered
44 Posts
The cut was exceptionally well done. - As regards the cost - as i included it in the purchase price when I picked the vehicle in Mid December 2004- perhaps the cost was not the "true" one ( KIA in the UK). There does not seem all that work involved . Mind you I was dissaponted as wanted the CRDI - but due to the quota system - they could only suply me in Jan 2005 - and was desparate to get the Sorento before 31-12-05. Had the v6 instead and conveted to LPG by www.greenfuels.com . As lpg in Belgium is about 30 pence a liter - it is cheaper to operate than the crdi, and you still have that "silent" oomph of power . It has done 10000 miles since January on LPG and report there are no side effects and no excessive oil consumption. I did the first service myself yesterday and the oil was still" clean"- in fact it had used 0.5 lites of Oil in the 10000 miles.The LPG tank is a 90 liter one taking the place of the spare wheel/ will take about 74 liters of LPG and is enough for 400 kms.- So not too bad.lpg consumption is between 15 and 18 liters/ 100 kms.

There are no problems with this vehicle and it is a beauty to drive. Why people are still spending double on other vehicles beats me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts