Kia Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Sorento LX w/pkg A
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking of putting Leds in the rear bumper reflectors. But, I'm not sure how to remove them without damage to the bumper or reflector. Has anyone done this already? Tips? Helps? Comments?
Thanks

·
Registered
2012 Sorento EX AWD CRDI; 2007 Sportage EX CRDi 4WD; 1967 Mercedes 250S; 1958 DKW 3=6
372 Posts
Removing the actual reflectors are easy. Just take off the screw that is holding them and they come off. Once they are off on the backside there is a dummy socket which can be drilled and a bulb can be installed. There is a duct that goes from the bumper to the tail light for the wiring harness to run.

·
Registered
2012 Sorento LX w/pkg A
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don't mean to sound like a dummy but where are the screws? Can't see the back side and there are no screws showing on the front side. Is there some trim or rear bumper part that needs to be removed?

Thanks

·
Registered
2012 Sorento EX AWD CRDI; 2007 Sportage EX CRDi 4WD; 1967 Mercedes 250S; 1958 DKW 3=6
372 Posts
Now I am a bit confused because the screw is quite apparent. Are we talking about the same thing, I wonder! Anyway, here is a picture. (Sorry about the poor quality; it was taken in the night using my phone)

Attachments

·
Registered
2018 Sorento EX 3.3L V6 AWD
144 Posts
Are you asking about the thin rectangular reflectors or like roshans?

·
Registered
2012 Sorento LX w/pkg A
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the quick replys. There are two 10" x 1" reflectors on the back bumper. One right side and one left side. There are no screws visible on either. I cannot see the back side as they are inside the bumper enclosure. Hope this helps.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
Race Blue MY12 Skoda Octavia RS TDI Manual
922 Posts
US-models don't have rear fog lights, so have small little sliver useless reflector things.

Non-US-models have rear fog lights with large reflectors that just screw right off.
These are the ones that the LED replacements are built for.

·
Registered
372 Posts
US-models don't have rear fog lights, so have small little sliver useless reflector things.

Non-US-models have rear fog lights with large reflectors that just screw right off.
These are the ones that the LED replacements are built for.
I think Mysticality is right. Mine has quite large reflectors on either side of the bumpers. Each is divided into two halves and one half is the reflector and the other has provision for a bulb with a dummy socket.

Mysticality, do you know what type of bulb/holder fits this socket and where I can get it from?

rrevis, if mystiality is right you probably won't be able to do the mod. Too bad!

·
Registered
2012 Sorento LX w/pkg A
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all of the replies. I will keep working at it. If I find a way to complete this task I will post here.
Thanks again....

·
Registered
2018 Sorento EX 3.3L V6 AWD
144 Posts
Have you considered those red LED strips like the ones pickup truck have? Goes along the length of the rear bumper. Whole thing lights up when braking, right half blinks for right turns, etc. You get a lot more doing that. Of course, there's the wiring that needs to be tapped into or if you have a 4 pin trailer wiring harness.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts