Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody.
I have a 1.1 EX Auto. Rear brake problem I have too. When I move first, I hear some bearish sound from the rear brakes. Service checked and clean it. Left is normal but right one keep on groaning.

From: Ie Yang <[email protected] </group/kiapicanto/post?postID=QgLIjX8B6oBuqt42bDXs5iRNpQJWAvLGlYM_DaeuCIw_rMeRXMbY7oEQ3dTUfePQ-Poog46o9hls> >
Date: Wed Aug 18, 2004 4:29 am
Subject: Re: [kiapicanto] Rear Brake Problem

Hi there,

My Picanto just A-OK.
Running smoothly, without any problems.

I guess U just unlucky, got a small product
defects.
Just push them to get a new part replacement or
something.

Good Luck
--- nccukltd <[email protected] </group/kiapicanto/post?postID=mSb4wNy_XMN0Cn_GhlHplQ5ed6flt_3HGuJHr3rZRn-XWL9CDqxICcjz3HNFp2a_ZcSybYyE_KPtvg> > wrote:

> Hi All
>
> Wife has had Picanto 1.1 se for four weeks now
> and it has been back
> in dealers twice to have rear brakes looked at.
> Rear nearside caliper appears to be binding
> when handbrake is
> released. Squeaks quite loudly for about 20 to
> 30 mtrs.
> Now waiting to hear from Kia ?
> Just wondering if anyone else was having
> similar problems.
>
>

:(

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had a test drive in a Picanto and guess what? I heard this noise from the back and suggested it was brakes to the saleslady.She denied hearing it.
friend of mine just bought a new Picanto - guess what yep same problem. Been back in dealership twice fobbed her off as she has no technical knowledge.
Kia appear to have a problem with this which is a shame as otherwise seems a good new model.
I CONSIDERED BUYING ONE but will not until my confidence is restored.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
There is a solution for the rear brake noise.
Official Kia tech repair is to skim rear discs.

So far once this is done none have come back.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Originally posted by Murphwiz@Aug 27 2004, 10:16 PM
There is a solution for the rear brake noise.
Official Kia tech repair is to skim rear discs.

So far once this is done none have come back.

Hi just wondering where you found out about rear brake fix,
as my dealer says he has not heard from Kia about this.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I work in a dealer, after the first couple of complaints, KIA tech came back with skim rear discs and this appears to have cured the problem, as I've said, all those using this fix have not come back.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Originally posted by Murphwiz@Aug 30 2004, 11:59 PM
I work in a dealer, after the first couple of complaints, KIA tech came back with skim rear discs and this appears to have cured the problem, as I've said, all those using this fix have not come back.
Many thanks for quick response will speak to my dealer tomorrow.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Say, has anyone heard if there is a Haynes manual for the Picanto? Want to get some book so I can fix simple stuff at home instead of taking time off work to go down to the dealer.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
No 'haynes' manual afaik..
If your mechanically minded, the car if pretty basic, I've got training manual on CD somewhere, but it's not too techincal.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi All
Just an update on the rear brake problem.
Dealer still awaiting information from KIA, they are producing replacement parts to clear the problem, though they don't know what parts.
KIA customer services UK also don't know what parts are to be replaced but have told me they will be sending out a recall letter soon.

Have arranged to ring them tomorrow as they are trying to get me some more information.

Meantime car back into garage to let them regrease all moving parts again.
Wife hates taking passengers at present as the noise is so loud.
Will let you all know if I get any more information.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Originally posted by Bob.B@Sep 15 2004, 04:33 PM
Hi All
Just an update on the rear brake problem.
Dealer still awaiting information from KIA, they are producing replacement parts to clear the problem, though they don't know what parts.
KIA customer services UK also don't know what parts are to be replaced but have told me they will be sending out a recall letter soon.

Have arranged to ring them tomorrow as they are trying to get me some more information.

Meantime car back into garage to let them regrease all moving parts again.
Wife hates taking passengers at present as the noise is so loud.
Will let you all know if I get any more information.
mine are squeaking a bit at the moment, but i know when it gets bad the local garage will just skim the brakes, why doesnt your garage do that? seems like all garages know to.

·
Registered
3 Posts
hi all!
we were interested to see the brake problem come up. our dealer said to try putting the handbrake on to get rid of the noise when it happens but we didn't think that was too clever advice! we have to take it back as we found a small defect in the paint, so we shall be checking out if there has been a recall.
love the car though!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi All
Just had a chat with KIA UK they say a kit of parts should be ready soon -modified brake pads and damper assy.
Local dealer has now been in contact with KIA Tech who say there are few kits in uk for testing.
So strill no forecast for a permanent repair.
Will keep you aware of progress.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Is anyone still experiencing problems with the brakes on their Picanto. I bought mine last November and for the first two months had no problems. From about January onwards I have been getting screeching noises from the rear brakes. This occurs when moving off after the car has been standing either overnight or in the car park during the day. It clears after about 2-300 yards. The dealer asked me to take the car in for new brake pads and a small modification to be fitted but when they examined the car it appears that mine is one of the newer chassis with the modification already fitted so they couldn't explain the noise. Has anyone got any up to date news regarding this?

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Still skimming discs to cure, 9-10 times it works.
Chap at Kia tech didn;t believe when I told him the modification still doesn't sure the problem :huh: Although the number of cases has been drasticly reduced since the modification was introduced into production.

·
Registered
8 Posts
i have the very same problem as well. but my pica , which is Malaysia's version do not have rear disc brake but drum brake instead. Does the the skimming of the rear brake as suggested by some of you guys works the same on drum brake?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Murphwiz,

Its great to have a Kia Dealer here.
May I know whats the general response from the car owners? Pls help to provide sincere response as I am considering one too.

I always thought that skimming is only needed after sometime of usage or freq hard braking. Y is it that new car have such an issue?
As far as I know, skimming will reduce life span of the disc. whtas ur thought on this?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
The rear brakes are apparently overspec by tiny amount, due to the lightness of the Picanto, I can't see them being replaced ever, as they will just not wear!
IMHO the Picanto with discs all round is a bit over braked, brakes are really quite sharp if your not used to them.

In general the Picanto is a fine car, very few issues with them, nothing common has appeared, just the odd faults here and there as to be expected with a mass produced vehicle.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts