Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sedona EX
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to get parts on order and as soon as they arrive, I'll get started on a rebuild.

The timing of things couldn't be more peculiar. Just stumbled upon a posting online about rear drum brakes and realize that's exactly what I've been noticing lately on mine.

Hopefully won't get stuck while doing the job. Should be fairly easy anyway. Best of all, I'll have new shoes, hardware (springs and pins) and wheel cylinders.

Guess I was assuming this was just PB Blaster that dripped down when working the bleeders loose. Could possibly be brake fluid if cylinder is starting to leak/fail.

·
Registered
Sedona '02
141 Posts
Going to get parts on order and as soon as they arrive, I'll get started on a rebuild.

The timing of things couldn't be more peculiar. Just stumbled upon a posting online about rear drum brakes and realize that's exactly what I've been noticing lately on mine.

Hopefully won't get stuck while doing the job. Should be fairly easy anyway. Best of all, I'll have new shoes, hardware (springs and pins) and wheel cylinders.

Guess I was assuming this was just PB Blaster that dripped down when working the bleeders loose. Could possibly be brake fluid if cylinder is starting to leak/fail.
Just to note, if you are in the salt belt area and have a lot of rust with high mileage. I believe your rear brake line will fail.

You can rebuild them pretty cheap, actually. I bought these brake lines from AutoZone (the ones with the right type of flare on ends) - I measured the thickness of the pipe with a caliper.

I bought a brake line bending tool from Harbor Freight. It actually works pretty good. And I changed out the rear brake lines from the rear center proportioning valve to the left and right cylinders. Both were rusted and burst. These things leak at where it is connected to those metal clips that hold them to the rear horizontal subframe. I think salt gets at the joint where the brake line meets the clips and rust starts there.

The cost was not a lot at all. I save a lot of money bending the pipe myself. I took of the original and used it as a template. You just have to be careful and not kink the pipe when bending them.

I also measured the length of each pipe by using a tape measure and roughly measuring it out. Luckily they had a pretty much similar length pipes in stock.

Also, check the rear wheel bearing/hub combo by rotating them and stick a screw driver to it and listening to see if the bearings sound okay. Rear should be much easier to change then the front. I think they are just slide on hub with bearing together.

A little secret, From Rockauto, the Kia parts brand "Auto 7" usually have the actual OEM Korean made stuff. i.e. Mando is an actual OEM supplier to Hyundai and Kia. They are huge. Also, Hyundai MOVIS is owned by Hyundai (one of their family members owns it) and supplies all kinds of parts to Hyundai and Kia.

Right now, the Auto 7 rear wheel hub/bearing set is $25. (close out sale) - I will bet a $1 that one is made in Korea Mando part. The Timkin hub is $59 w/o anti lock ring. With the anti lock ring it's $105. You do the calculation.

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sedona EX
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, in the rust belt area... Already have been replacing some brake lines, have a few more to go.

How important is it to get wheel cylinders that specify for ABS since I've got anti-lock brakes?

·
Registered
09 kia spectra ex,04 Neon,04 Chry. T&C, 08 Pontiac G6 gt
2,380 Posts
VERY important to get what is specified for your application. Many times the wheel cylinders will be of a different size and configuration and do NOT intermix. Same with other rear brake parts.

Reactions: JustinP526

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sedona EX
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks very much! I'll get the right ones on order then so the job gets done right.

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sedona EX
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The date on sticker in my driver side door jamb says 01/24/03. I figure that I should get parts that are listed for "up to 12/2003" not the ones that are for "from 12/2003"?
I'd assume that the date correlates with changes that were made, whichcould include changing the size of shoes, drums, etc.

·
Registered
09 kia spectra ex,04 Neon,04 Chry. T&C, 08 Pontiac G6 gt
2,380 Posts
I would agree with your asumption. ;)

Reactions: JustinP526
1 - 7 of 7 Posts