Kia Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Sorento Lx 2011 2 wd V-6
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Sori is now @ 75,000 kms , 5% left on the rear brakes.

Independant garage ask $ 525 for the job , pad+rotor+time , first quality parts ... they claim better than original.

My Kia dealer is asking the same amount. I will go with Kia .

Or do you have a better suggestion. I live in Montreal area.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sorento SX V6 FWD (Titanium Silver)
18 Posts
a set of pads are $50, 2 rotors are $100, labor should be $150. I wouldn't pay more than $300-$350 for a rear brake job, even though I think that is too expensive. If you are gutsy enough you can save yourself $150+ and do it yourself at home with some basic tools, a jack and jack stands. Also, if your rear brakes are near done then your fronts should be too, so I would look to replace those as well.

·
Registered
Sorento Lx 2011 2 wd V-6
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
a set of pads are $50, 2 rotors are $100, labor should be $150. I wouldn't pay more than $300-$350 for a rear brake job, even though I think that is too expensive. If you are gutsy enough you can save yourself $150+ and do it yourself at home with some basic tools, a jack and jack stands. Also, if your rear brakes are near done then your fronts should be too, so I would look to replace those as well.
Thanks for the input.

My front brakes are @ 50%.

I dont have the skill or-both patience to do this :eek:

They ventilate this way at the independant

2 pads premium OE ceramic : $ 80
2 rotors only ultra-premium : $ 315
manpower : $110

·
Banned
2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD
710 Posts
I'm looking on Rockauto.com, where I usually buy my parts, and see:

Raybestos rear rotors: $36.79/each
Raybestos front rotors: $46.79/each
Raybestos rear pads: $32.99
Raybestos front pads: $36.79

I'd expect to see some mark-up in prices when you farm out the work, but what you're being quoted is ridiculous. Their cost in parts is only about $100. Also, if you've got a lift, it's a 10 minute job per corner to do the brakes. It's also VERY unusual for the rear brakes to wear out before the fronts. If I didn't do that kind of work myself, I wouldn't pay more than about US$250 for a rear brake job.

Best,

·
Registered
194 Posts
All you have to do is jack up the wheels, take them off loosen the caliper and pull it off, pull off the rotor, pull off the brake pads, put on a new rotor (cleaned with brake cleaner) lube the pads and put them on, and then ideally (and this is not included in your estimate) flush the fluid through each caliper while you have them off. Its CRAZY easy to do, and if you don't believe me just pull up some youtube videos of it. You can definitely do it yourself for $150 or less.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Should also add that while it is good practice to replace your rotors while doing pads (I always do) you probably don't have to. Rotors usually have plenty of surface left on them with the first pad change.

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra -- 2006 Grand Cheorkee limted Hemi.
4,422 Posts
Thanks for the input.

My front brakes are @ 50%.

I dont have the skill or-both patience to do this :eek:

They ventilate this way at the independant

2 pads premium OE ceramic : $ 80
2 rotors only ultra-premium : $ 315
manpower : $110

The world "ultra premium" is a (Napa parts) description. You do NOT need ultra pre. get the cheaper ones. A set of pads is the only way they are sold, set meaning: all 4 pads.

·
Registered
194 Posts
What is an ultra premium rotor? Drilled and slotted? That is crazy unnecessary for the Sorento. You won't see any change in your braking and will pay much more for the parts. If it were me I would buy pads, rotors, bottle of brake fluid, sylglide, and if you don't have a bleeder a mityvac or just a piece of tubing and coke bottle.

The other thing you could try is to get speed bleeders. I have seen them and love the concept, but have never used them myself. I may get a set to try out in the future. Easiest brake fluid flush ever.

·
Registered
Sorento Lx 2011 2 wd V-6
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I know that it is crazy ---they really take advantage ---both the

independants and the dealers. Called 4 and all in the same price range.

I called C anadian T ire and they ask $ 300.00 but tell me the quality of

parts are not the best ...would you trust CT on brake job ?

On the other side , brakes are important for me ---I mess with many things but

brakes are a no-go for me ...Back in 1992 on my 1990 Accord i had the front-back

brakes done at a tire dealer ----what a mess they did ---the brakes were coming

so hot , almost red ---I fought them and had them doing the job correctly.

Thanks .

For those who want to learn how to do the job :

http://www.kia-forums.com/2003-2010-sorento-forum/66558-rear-brake-job-sorento.html

·
Banned
2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD
710 Posts
Even a bozo mechanic can do a reasonably good job with brakes. It's just not that hard. $300 isn't a terrible price. Ask them if they'll do it for $200-250 if you supply the parts. Then buy from the quality list that I posted above. That's still a little high, but much cheaper than you were being quoted and at least you'll know that the parts are top notch. Too bad you don't live closer to me. I'd do it for a couple bottles of vino. :)

Best,

·
Registered
194 Posts
I would watch a few youtube videos, buy the parts, and try it yourself. Absolute worst case is you can't get things back on and you have to have the shop do it. If you go ahead and try that and get snagged on something you can always come back her and post with some pictures and the people here can probably help work you through it. It is really THAT easy to change out brakes.

·
Registered
Sorento Lx 2011 2 wd V-6
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Even a bozo mechanic can do a reasonably good job with brakes. It's just not that hard. $300 isn't a terrible price. Ask them if they'll do it for $200-250 if you supply the parts. Then buy from the quality list that I posted above. That's still a little high, but much cheaper than you were being quoted and at least you'll know that the parts are top notch. Too bad you don't live closer to me. I'd do it for a couple bottles of vino. :)

Best,
I have both white and red ....but just after the job done ;)

I have also a V-1 to exchange ---

·
Registered
White 2012 SX AWD
679 Posts
If the front brakes don't need anything, then I would question if the rear brakes need any work at all. Have another mechanic look at it...an honest one if you can find one. It just doesn't sound right. Front brakes do most of the braking. If it is the case, then I would have them make sure it's done properly as there may be some other issue such as parking brake or caliper sticking.

As for doing it yourself, yes, it's easy. But, a lot of issues can come up if you're not aware or familiar with the task. Then what do you do?

75-80,000km is a reasonable distance to go on pads for a brake change though.

Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
Sorento Lx 2011 2 wd V-6
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I will keep you informed ...vacations are coming , then after I will decide .

My wife told me to go with the dealer !!!

Obey or disobey ....ah ha

1 - 14 of 14 Posts