Kia Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Kia Spectra LX
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so I own a 2005 Kia Spectra LX with around 75k miles. I get horrible gas mileage at around 14 mpg which I know is really bad as most people with Spectra's in this year get over 30 mpg. I don't drive bad either, the automatic transmission usually shifts around 2500 rpm with the way I drive.
Recently I've done..
-spark plugs serviced
-professional fuel injector cleaning (mechanic did this and spark plugs for $180!)
-new front tires (front ones were smaller than recommended and were used back ones are in near perfect condition!)

My mechanic says he sees nothing wrong, what could this be!? I'm tired of getting this mileage.

·
Registered
05 Kia Sorento LX 4x4
280 Posts
The wrong size tires weren't helping any.
Did the mechanic check your air filter?
Any unusual/excessive brake wear?
Wheel bearing noise/wobble?
Spark plug WIRES?

·
Registered
2005 Blue Kia Spectra5 and a 96 Turbo Honda civic and a 99 subaru outback with a 2.5 rs turbo motor
265 Posts
I get around 18-19 city driving and about 24-27mpg all highway. I notice that my rear brakes was wearing faster than normal and took the rear brakes apart and notice that the caliper bracket was binding on the caliper. cleaned the bracket and re-lube it and I notice a 2-3 mpg gain.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,922 Posts
Have you checked the air filter? Restricted air can cause poor mileage.
Dave

·
Registered
2005 Kia Spectra LX
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the replies!

Well I found out my engine air filter is dirty, not really bad but yeah it's pretty dirty.. but will that really result in that bad of mileage?

& my brakes already need to be replaced soon as well.

I've noticed when driving without music since I can actually hear my car lol, my car kinda squeaks/rattles from I wanna say the rear passenger tire.. what could that be?

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra -- 2006 Grand Cheorkee limted Hemi.
4,426 Posts
Yes, the clogged/dirty air filter could have easily cost you a few mpg's. The rattle could be anything,..you will need to get it up on a hoist, and check things out.

·
Registered
2005 Kia Spectra LX
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I gotta replace it then lol!
Thanks! I found out the squeak noise I think is because my weathertripping in the door is messed up so at high speeds some air squeezes through and squeaks already fixed lol!

Will a dirty engine air filter also affect the A/C? Cause my A/C works great but a lot of the times it kinda gets weak for a while like if it's clogged then I higher the A/C full blast and air finally starts coming out strong and then lower back to 1 and it runs normally.. the A/C vents get all moist around them as well and sometimes it gives off like a light white mist/smoke.

·
Super Moderator
4,426 Posts
You also have a cabin air filter. it filters air from the outside, before it enters the inside of your car. If you have NOT changed your air filter, I'm sure the cabin filter has not been changed either. If it's real dirty (I'm sure it is) it will effect a/c, as well as slow air flow to the blower motor. It's behind your glove box.

·
Registered
2005 Kia Spectra LX
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nah I actually just recently installed a cabin air filter like a week or two ago. My car did not come with a cabin air filter so I finally put one.

·
Registered
2005 Kia Spectra LX
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Have you checked the air filter? Restricted air can cause poor mileage.
Dave
Will the air filter really cause that bad of gas mileage though? I mean a lot of people get 30 mpg or over on their Spectra's while I'm getting 14.. I don't drive bad an even when driving almost all highway I still tend to get like maybe 16 mpg if lucky.

·
Super Moderator
4,426 Posts
Will the air filter really cause that bad of gas mileage though? I mean a lot of people get 30 mpg or over on their Spectra's while I'm getting 14.. I don't drive bad an even when driving almost all highway I still tend to get like maybe 16 mpg if lucky.
Your question was already answered. Replace the air filter, they are cheap!!

·
Super Moderator
6,922 Posts
As cobra259 said it could/can cause poor mileage...

Think of yourself trying to run and having a face mask that is covered in Texas dust.. What would happen? You would be short of breath and not be able to function anywhere near your potential...
You'd overheat and fail...

Your car's engine is just like you...It NEEDS air ...fuel...spark and can't function well with out them... So yes a very dirty air filter CAN/WILL give poor gas mileage and CAN hurt your car because the air/fuel mixture being wrong can damage the O2 sensors and catalytic converters....
The life blood of your car is/are ...
Clean oil and oil filters...
Clean air Filters
Clean and replaced automatic transmission fluid (Diamond III type)
brake shoes and rotors...

These are maintenance items that require routine replacement...
You are doing the right things buy ASKING questions and learning from them...
Let's work to get your Spectra to 200~300k miles...
Dave

·
Registered
2005 Kia Spectra LX
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
As cobra259 said it could/can cause poor mileage...

Think of yourself trying to run and having a face mask that is covered in Texas dust.. What would happen? You would be short of breath and not be able to function anywhere near your potential...
You'd overheat and fail...

Your car's engine is just like you...It NEEDS air ...fuel...spark and can't function well with out them... So yes a very dirty air filter CAN/WILL give poor gas mileage and CAN hurt your car because the air/fuel mixture being wrong can damage the O2 sensors and catalytic converters....
The life blood of your car is/are ...
Clean oil and oil filters...
Clean air Filters
Clean and replaced automatic transmission fluid (Diamond III type)
brake shoes and rotors...

These are maintenance items that require routine replacement...
You are doing the right things buy ASKING questions and learning from them...
Let's work to get your Spectra to 200~300k miles...
Dave
Thanks then man, I will replace does it matter which one I use? I was thinking of getting the Spectre Performance Air Filters? What do you think? They're washable as well.

·
Registered
2005 Kia Spectra LX
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Already replaced it, damn my filter was real dirty.. pictures was after blowing it off with an a/c compressor. Already installed the new filter and car seems to be running a whole lot smoother, accelerates faster and doesn't shift all hard like before.

·
Super Moderator
6,922 Posts
I'd bet if you tried to pull a measured volume of air through the old one you'd "see" how bad it really was....
btw ...
Replace the new one with "paper" when it gets dirty... There is a lot of people that think the "K&N" type oil bath filters are better but facts say that the paper catches more damaging dirt/grit and will keep your engine running much longer.
Dave

·
Registered
2005 Kia Spectra LX
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah this one is paper if I'm right, I was gonna buy the performance filter but I saw that people said that the paper ones were better for daily drivers since they keep dirt out from the engine and the performance ones allow more in but do offer performance boost, but not much. Over time it will hurt the engine supposedly. Plus I don't mind buying neww filters when needed, I bought the best one they had available that wasn't a performance filter which was the FRAM Extra Guard 2x.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts