Kia Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2017 cee'd SW 1.6 CRDi High DCT-7
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning I went to my KIA garage to have a regular maintenance visit scheduled at 40'000 km / 24 Months.
To my surprise, KIA Manager has informed me that my visit was overdue.
I claimed that my ODO reads 39'990 km and my visit is 2 days earlier then last year and less then 24 months after the car purchase so, according to the official schedule, within due time.
But the Manager claimed that my service was due at 38'000 km since my last service was at 18'000 km and, according to him, there should never be more then 20'000 km between the services.
Now, even though 20'000 km interval could make sence, this is not specified in the maintenance schedule, which clearly reads:
1. 20'000 km / 12 months - whichever is earlier
2. 40'000 km / 24 months - whichever is earlier.
To resolve the issue, KIA Manager made me a "favor" by writing 38'000 instead of actual 39'990 "to enable my continued warranty".
I was not happy with this solution but I had no choice but to except it.
I am always very carefully adhering to the servicing schedule in order to maintain my warranty but also to prevent any damage to the car and I hated being told that I am overdue when was not.
To me it is clear, if there is an additional condition regarding the minimum servicing interval, it should be clearly stated in the warranty conditions.
I would like to know your view and experience on this.
Thanks

·
Registered
2010 Kia Cee'd 2 - 124BHP 1.6petrol
560 Posts
Unfortuntaely it is seen to be the standard practice. the directions in the manual state that if you get it on time every time. However, if you reach two years and not all the mileage, then you hit the 20k km within 24 months, it is due.

My car was serviced about 5000 miles too early, and I had the exact same fight with the dealer.

Best way to look at it, is your mileage or years based on what your last one was. So if you got serviced 8000 miles too soon, then you should stick to getting it serviced 8000 earlier than its due.

Silly rules really!

Did they say if it was a burdon on your warranty?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did they say if it was a burdon on your warranty?
My dealer and garage are always very helpful and so they stated 38'000 km in my service book in order that I preserve my warranty.
What bothers me is the practice that is different from what is written in the conditions of warranty. And I am sure that KIA had 10 lawyers checked the text before publishing.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Its quite simple, the maximum between services is 20,000 Km or 12 months. Since your last service was done at 18,000 Km the next was due at 38,000 Km, as I said, its simple maths.

What would happen if you only did 2,000 Km in the first 12 months and then changed jobs which involved more travelling and your annual mileage increased to 35,000 Km. When the car was 24 months old you would have travelled 37,000 Km, yet the car would have been due for a service at 22,000 Km (2,000 + 20,000). In this instance the car would be 15,000 Km over the max interval and would probably have been damaged due the distance the oil had travelled. Would you really expect Kia to cover the car under warranty, I think not.

You have to keep to the recommended intervals to retain your warranty, if you don't Kia or any other manufacturer are quite correct in turning down warranty claims.

Cannot understand why its so difficult to understand.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its quite simple, the maximum between services is 20,000 Km or 12 months..
Cannot understand why its so difficult to understand.
Thanks, my understanding is just fine. And the example you gave is common sense.
My point is that the waranty, which is a legal document, does not say it. Should there be this little sentence "the maximum between services is 20,000 Km or 12 months" everything would be just fine and clear.
But thanks for your input

·
Registered
246 Posts
Does it say it for the 1st service or between any 2 consecutive services?
It means that the maximum time you can go between services in you do below 20,000 miles a year is 12 months and if you do more than 20,000 miles a year it needs servicing every 20,000 miles.

Cannot see why its such a difficult concept to grasp.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey guys,
I understand the concept of 20'000 km or 12 months between any 2 consecutive services.
I'm just saying that it's not what the warranty reads. At least not the Croatian warranty.
If you can quote me such a sentence from an English warranty or provide a scan of it I'd be aver so grateful.

·
Registered
87 Posts
In our Ceed owners manual (7-21 to 7-24) it gives the maximum service intervals for the 1.6 CRDi as 12 months or 20,000 miles (30,000 Km) whichever comes first which is as clear as its possible to be. We do about 11,000 miles a year thus its done every 12 months, if we did 25,000 miles a year it would be serviced every 20,000 miles.

The warranty/service book contains no actual interval details since its the same book for all Kia's and different models have different requirements.

What's so difficult to understand.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
The 20,000km maximum between services is implied by the Maintenance Schedule, and I've never seen it specifically pointed out in any handbook. Legalities aside, it's obvious that you shouldn't go over the stated limits. 20,000 is a long interval, and I wouldn't want to push it any further.

Some cars have recommended 10,000km/6 months intervals and I usually don't do that many km before the 6 months comes around. Some service departments will then carry out the corresponding kilometer service even if you haven't covered the distance. This results in considerable over-servicing (e.g. They replaced spark plugs at 50,000km although they were not due until 100,000km.). You have to watch out for this.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The 20,000km maximum between services is implied by the Maintenance Schedule, and I've never seen it specifically pointed out in any handbook. Legalities aside, it's obvious that you shouldn't go over the stated limits. 20,000 is a long interval, and I wouldn't want to push it any further.
Thank you - I agree.

However, this thread has revealed an interesting point:
While in some countries the servicing distance limit is 20'000 km, in the UK it's 20'000 miles.
I wonder if the cee'd CRDi for the UK is that much more resilient ;)

·
Registered
2010 Kia Cee'd 2 - 124BHP 1.6petrol
560 Posts
Its all about the environments, the UK isnt really a dusty enviornment, not sure about croatia's environent, but in the UK its fairly clean quality throughout. different temperatures, dust content, (places eligible to sandstorms even) all have a burdon on the engine.

So where the UK doesnt normally have dust storms etc, the engine can cope nicely for 20,000 miles. However in other parts of Europe, the environment, may be more dusty / sandy, which would end up clogging the filters, and the engine struggles to breathe, this is why it needs to be done at 20,000km (12427.423 miles) because the engine would suffer much more rapidly on the continent, than in the UK.

That is only a guess, and I dont know what particular differences there are in the UK against Croatia or other European continents, but I hope that the example makes sense...?

·
Registered
65 Posts
In the UK we don't normally get extremely cold winters and extremely hot summers. In continental Europe the temperatures are much more extreme at both ends of the scale and this can put an additional burden on filters, oil, suspension etc.

I have seen other threads where owners complain that we in the UK are ripped of but it appears we are doing pretty well.

·
Registered
09 Pro-Ceed 1.4 ZR7
346 Posts
Ive had 4 services on my Pro now and although i stick to the service schedule im always a little over the maximum stated mileage by a little. i think the most ive been over is by a couple of hundred miles but this is due to having a life and having to book in a service around work etc.
I really cant see Kia throwing out a warranty claim because i was 100 miles over on my 40K service! Even 400 miles is only 1% over! And if they did throw it out could you see a court allowing them to do that?
A while ago when i was at my dealer they were discussing whether to refuse a warranty claim and the owner had missed a service by several thousand miles and they were reluctantly going to refuse the claim as it was something like 15K miles over!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts