Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10' Sportage 2WD 2.0L AT
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Re-use of brake pad shims

Hi, Yesterday I changed rear brake pads with ThermoQuiet (ceramic) pads, and I did re-use stock shims from existing pads.

However, from different forums, I found people said I should not have put any shim when using this aftermarket pad. Should I take shims out right away? Or, is it going to be just okay? :huh:

Cheers!

·
Registered
06 Sportage/2012 Navara V6 TD
304 Posts
I would think that if they did not come with shims, or there were no notes to indicate their re-use, then you most likely did not need them. That being said, the shim, being a thin piece of metal (or rubber), is not likely to make any difference. Other opinions, chime in.

·
Registered
2009 Sportage LX V6 4WD, 2011 Mack GU813 405M
62 Posts
i was told many years ago that the shims were to help eliminate brake squeal, but as mentioned above, if they were not included and no mention was made, i wouldnt worry about. im not a mechanic, but i seriously doubt i would hurt that you re used them.....not like they are gonna fail and cause the pads to fall out, being self adjusting and all.

·
Registered
2013 Rio 5 EX, 1967 Chevy C10
241 Posts
I no longer sell Thermoquiet pads ( changed the companies that I work for) but when I sold them and can't believe it has changed, Thermoquiets had the shims molded into the backside of the pad. Because of this, you don't need to use any shims with them.

·
Registered
10' Sportage 2WD 2.0L AT
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you very much! All of you definitely helped me not to worry about this any more. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts