Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2009 Kia Sportage 2.7L LX

I have a rattling noise that happens when you go over a series of bumps on the passenger side. It sounds like it is coming from the front of the car, but in line with where the passenger sits.

I checked the control arms, sway bars, balls joints, tie rods, tie rod ends, struts, springs, etc... on both sides of the car. Everything looked and felt solid and to be in good condition. Nothing loose at all. I also checked the exhaust for any broken hangers or rubbing.

You can feel the rattling slightly in the gas pedal and the steering wheel. I'm really not sure that is causing this.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks! :)

·
Registered
255 Posts
Checking doesn't help.

My front end was pretty much toast by 60k miles and is one of the reasons why I sold the Sportage.

Ball joints, suspension bushings, and wheeling bearings were toast by 60k. Struts were leaking too. Rest of vehicle was 'loose' too.

Check your glove box for loose change ;-)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is no play in any of the front end suspension and the noise doesn't come from the wheel wells. I noticed the sound happens on both sides but in front of the passenger and driver. Not near the tires.

What do you mean checking does not help? There is no play in the tires when putting heavy pressure in all directions when the car is on jack stands. Also there is no play in any of the suspension parts.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Unless you can put "a vehicle weight amount" of pressure on everything with the associated impact of the suspended vehicle while driving on the road, incorrectly applied heavy pressure sometimes doesn't cut it.

I'll assume that your glove box, doors, and storage areas are not stuffed with loose change, screws, nut, or bolts, that are rattling around.
And, I'll assume that you made the effort to check the HVAC system for loose nuts/acorns and other food stuff commonly used by rats, mice, squirrels, or whatever pest is available in your area.

When you can't figure out what the problem is, that is when you pay for a professional, or get a 2nd set of ears to zoom in on the problem.

·
Registered
14 Soul+
12 Posts
My 07 lx had a creaking/popping noise that sounded like it was coming from under the drivers seat when I would drive over uneven ground. Turns out that the front subframe mounting bushings were the source. These are the large rubber biscuits that insulate the subframe from the body. Might want to check those.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts