Kia Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
241 - 246 of 246 Posts

·
Registered
2016 KIA Rio 1 Air 1.25 petrol manual
37 Posts
Kia uses their so called fantastic warranty to sell the car, any car manufacturer can give years of warranty if they choose not to honor it . I also have ticking noise , very annoying and have given up, they say this is common to all kio rio cars, after several attempts to to get it fixed , i just had to give up as they also said if anything goes wrong with the vehicle they will honor the warranty so turn on the radio and you wont hear the ticking noise . Will never touch a kia car again.
im with you there, this is my first and last kia, back to honda for me or even try toyota but no more kia. it is a shame really as the car is nice enough apart from the pulley/belt chirp that wont go away. the after sales is by far the worst i have ever had and i have had volkswagen so we are talking dog shit bad. they just dont want to do anything, they cant hear anything and they never want to replace anything. i have had this chirp noise from day 1 and do i get an apollogy? nope do i get straight into the service bay and fixed? nope it is we are full we can fit you in next week. total crap service, it is like night and day from honda

·
Registered
2016 Rio SX Hatch
331 Posts
Can't you try a different dealer ?

My local Kia service is outstanding.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Sorento EX+
393 Posts
I have had the rattling engine issue since day one.
Changed by spark plugs today (55k) to try to address my terrible fuel consumption (about 11 L/100km city).
Not sure about the mileage yet, but the ratting is GONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I can't believe something as simple as spark plugs totally got rid of the rattle! Must have been something up with the original spark plugs. The old ones didn't look unusual (would have been nice if they did and would have indicated a problem), but changing them out made all the difference.

Highly recommend that anyone having rattling issues give this a shot.

Note that dealer wanted $600 to change my plugs, I got them at partsouce (OEM) for $90 CAD and changed them myself in 45 minutes using this sites instructions:
Kia Rio Engine Spark Plugs Replacement Guide - 2012 To 2016 Model Years - Picture Illustrated Automotive Maintenance DIY Instructions

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio LX, auto, red
25 Posts
I have read through most of this thread and thought I would add my recent experience with pre-ignition, knock, detonation, or whatever is going on.

First of all, I appreciate some of the more accurate and insightful posts from ozSLS, P5150, sblake5 and RioFivester, as it really added to the quality of the discussion. My days of wrenching on cars go back to the days when you could, with the aid of a timing light and a good ear, adjust the timing by turning the distributor to advance or retard the timing. Then go out and drive to hear and feel the difference in acceleration or pre-ignition if you advanced it a little too far. Now the computers try to do everything based on inputs from various sensors. But that is only as good as the programming and the sensors.

I am not the primary driver of the Rio, but the other day my daughter told me the check engine light came on. She was accelerating and heard what she described as louder than normal knocking coming from the engine ( I think she is used to hearing the GDI ticking noise). The next day the CEL went off and she reported the Rio was driving normal again. Hooked it up to the scan tool and sure enough, p0326 - knock sensor. I don't recall seeing anything mentioned in the last half of this thread regarding a CEL related to the knock sensor.

Took it to the dealership. The dealership performed what is described as:
"39100F10 ECM Upgrade - UB AM 1.6GDI Knocking & MIL on with the 45631. Found code P0326 Knock Sensor sensitivety. Programmed ECU as per bulletin ENG 146".

I spoke with the service guy at the dealership and he is saying that the existing programming for the knock sensor is too sensitive and that this reprogramming addresses that somehow. I don't really have an opinion of whether that makes sense or not, but typically many service writers are not very knowledgeable regarding technical matters. Just passing along what I was told.

I picked up the car and drove it home. It may just be my imagination, but the car seems to be driving a little differently, specifically; a noticeable, but not objectionable 3-2 or 2-1 downshift, not sure which, while coming to a stop. Also the throttle response seems peppier.

There has been a lot of discussion on fuel used. Most of the time this car gets the cheapest E10 fuel when my daughter is filling it. Sometimes it gets pure gas and 2 - 3 times a year it gets Techron complete fuel system cleaner. BTW, Autozone has Techron on sale for $4.99 / 12 oz right now.

Finally, to end a long post, what is most odd with most people's experience is that the problem gets worse over time. What is changing the timing or causing the Rio to start knocking, pinging, whatever? The answer to that holds the clue to how to actually address the problem. Using premium fuel is not the answer, it is masking the symptoms and adding significantly to cost of ownership of what is supposed to be a cheap economy car.

·
Registered
2013 Rio SX 6spd
1 Posts
I just wanted to add to what sooner4x4 said by adding that while in for service I stated a rattling under heavy load. The tech correctly identified this as the engine knocking. There is a ECU reprogram out there for the 2013/2014 GDIs that modifies the knock sensor sensitivity and changes fuel trims I believe. There is now zero rattle/vibration, the car has much less throttle lag, and most of all, the annoying 1-2 shift 1 second power drop is almost completely GONE. I'd wager this update knocked a full second off the 0-60, the car is much quicker now without the timing being pulled on that shift. This is how the car should have come, and really makes the SX 6-Speed into what I'd hoped for in a little commuter. If you haven't had this update done, do it.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio5 SX Manumatic
1 Posts
I know this thread is pretty dead by now, but I thought I'd throw in my two cents.

I've owned this vehicle for about 4 years and have had the recurring issue of the engine rattle when accelerating. I've had almost all of my service done at my local Kia dealership despite not being under warranty (I bought it off a used car lot, long story short: big mistake). I'd noticed after my last few oil changes that my oil was being consistently overfilled, but didn't bother bringing it up until my most recent oil change. Despite my explicit direction to not overfill my oil, I noticed the next day that it was, again, overfull. After having some oil drained to bring it to an appropriate level, the rattling sound is COMPLETELY gone.

If you experience this noise, bring your oil to operating temperature; keep in mind that your thermostat measures coolant temperature and that oil takes significantly longer to warm up. Allow about 10-15 minutes for the oil to drain back into the reservoir and check your oil level. If it's overfull, drain a little and take extra care when refilling/topping off.

I'll try to keep tabs on this thread and will post an update if the noise returns.

Let me know if you try this and whether or not it works for you.

Cheers!

241 - 246 of 246 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.