Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, just recently, I've noticed that there is a ever so slight rattle/fluttering kind of noise from my beloved 2011 optima EX-T.

It is most noticeable when i'm travelling along at 15~20 mph. but it's hardly noticeable unless you're listening for it. My friend rode with me and I pointed it out to him but it took a little while for him to hear it. It's almost like something is rubbing against something or being hit regularly...almost like a plastic clicking noise. it seems to slow down as I slow down but speed up as I speed up.

outside of that range, I don't seem to have a problem at all! (if it's there, it's SUPER quiet).

I've taken my car on the highway and it's hasn't shown any odd behavior. I don't know if the noise exists at that speed because I'm imagining it or it's really there but really quiet.

Inside my front left wheel well, the plastic is a bit broken which allows for a little bit more give in the bumper, but the noise is too regular for it to be my bumper hitting the car (or at least I think)
I've also had the transmission replaced but that was back in about February and haven't had a problem with the transmission since.
I've tried revving the engine in idle and holding it at different RPMs and have heard nothing.

Anyone have any ideas? any ever heard something like this? :confused:

thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2016 Cadenza white Premium Tech package
180 Posts
So, just recently, I've noticed that there is a ever so slight rattle/fluttering kind of noise from my beloved 2011 optima EX-T.

It is most noticeable when i'm travelling along at 15~20 mph. but it's hardly noticeable unless you're listening for it. My friend rode with me and I pointed it out to him but it took a little while for him to hear it. It's almost like something is rubbing against something or being hit regularly...almost like a plastic clicking noise. it seems to slow down as I slow down but speed up as I speed up.

outside of that range, I don't seem to have a problem at all! (if it's there, it's SUPER quiet).

I've taken my car on the highway and it's hasn't shown any odd behavior. I don't know if the noise exists at that speed because I'm imagining it or it's really there but really quiet.

Inside my front left wheel well, the plastic is a bit broken which allows for a little bit more give in the bumper, but the noise is too regular for it to be my bumper hitting the car (or at least I think)
I've also had the transmission replaced but that was back in about February and haven't had a problem with the transmission since.
I've tried revving the engine in idle and holding it at different RPMs and have heard nothing.

Anyone have any ideas? any ever heard something like this? :confused:

thanks in advance!
I wonder if you have something in the pocket well.I had that on my previous car and it drove me nuts until I figured that out

·
Premium Member
Spicy Red Optima SX, Mazda6 Wagon
168 Posts
Inspect your tire treads over the full circumference. My daughter's Soul had a similar noise that we traced to a small piece of delaminated tread that would flap open when driving, but spring back almost fully when stopped. I just cut off the loose piece, and the tire has been OK for the last year.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hey y'all, thanks for the replies.

I've changed the tires recently to some new ones and the noise is still there. I've checked the front pocket well....nothing. I almost wonder if there's some part of the frame that wasn't bolted tightly during my transmission change.

I've noticed the noise getting more noticeable at higher speeds now.

I've also noticed a little while ago, on the other side of the underside plastic on the front, one of the bolts was a bit loose allowing for some parts of the frame to travel more than normal. I bolted that down a while ago. I'm going to try lifting the car and taking the plastic off and really bolting everything back down.

this noise is driving me nuts to say the least. :(

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
UPDATE: sorry for the late update. Took it in and had them take a look...turns out it was a bad wheel bearing that was making the noise. in short, thank goodness for the warranty. free replacement.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts